What are your thoughts on these leaves

Do these look odd for peach leaves?

And what would you make of these leaves? Some sort of pluot?

Both are seeds that sprouted from pits i’ve tossed in the yard. I just thought they looked a little odd. Pics from this past summer.

1 Like

The bottom one almost looks a little like pomegranate, although I assume you wouldn’t be growing those in ground.

1 Like

Looks good for peach to me.

Dax

I think the lower has a little of an apricot look to it to me.

The bottom is more like a pomegranate than a fruit tree. I’m not sure that’s what it is. I can’t think of any fruit tree that has opposing leaves like that. Apricot, peach, plum, and such have alternating leaves, one side then the other. That assumes my memory is still half here.

1 Like

Hmm… I’ve never bought a pomegranate before… I thought it was a weed at first, but i watched it over the summer (and the rabbits pruned it several times) and the more i looked the more it seemed to be stonefruit…

The peach just looked off to me for a peach leaf (the color/shape?), but i haven’t grown that many peaches so maybe there is some variation in them. I noticed on the honey peach i grafted, the leaves on that seem a little different then the seedling peach trees i grow out.

I’ll let them both grow out some more…probably graft them over at some point and see what happens. The peach leaf might fruit this year depending on how hardy it is.

Funny you say that…it is growing DIRECTLY under an apricot tree (so it will have to be moved or grafted at some point)…

1 Like

Warmwx,

It looks like a mild N deficiency to me.

1 Like

It very well could be that… we had record amounts of rain//sandy soil and i use a lot of woodchips. Although the mature leaves look ok?

It’s some seedling that i just let grow and i liked the look of it so i decided to keep it. It grows very straight and doesn’t branch much…its unlike my other peaches i grow. I hope it fruits this year.

1 Like