What Are Your Top 2 Fruits From this List?

Drew, this is why I am waiting on planting honeyberries. I know that there are many better cultivars somewhere out there. I am waiting for them to be available and for the reviews. Hope you will give us some.

I will try to give some reviews. I think the early cultivars are as you say not impressive.

Your honeyberries must be very different from the haskaps I grow. They make superb jam, much better than blueberry.

Awesome! I have both the Asian and Euro types, now just to wait a few years!

I really like the jostaberries I’ve tasted. I’ve never had gooseberries or currants, though. The jostaberries reminded me of wine, like some blackberries do.

I appreciate everyone’s input. I went with Maxie & Solo Haskap, Hinnomaki Red Gooseberry and Titiana Black Currant. Can’t wait to taste these.

I have Titania. I think it is one of the ones we liked last summer.

It’s best to have 2 black currants for cross pollination. You should pick up another cultivar.

I know you’ve only got experience with reds, but recommendations, Drew?

Well if you can act quickly you can add one to your order at Honeyberries? I don’t have that much experience with blacks. I know many say Minaj Smyreu is good. one person does not like it. I know 2-3 who like it best. I ordered Tiben because it is the most productive black currant I know of. It out produces all the old standbys. It is a hybrid with red and flowering currants with Titania. So I guess that would be a bad pollinator. Minaj Smyreu would be a logical choice. I’m trying to root a cutting. I have a bunch but only one is growing. I’m going to change methods next year. I’ll root them indoors.
Maybe others with more experience will speak up?

We must have very different growing conditions. Sometimes when I’m pruning black currants in the spring, as an afterthought, I stab a few of the prunings into the ground nearby. They nearly always root and grow.

I haven’t found another edible that roots so easily, not even grapes or figs.

2 Likes

It’s best to trade with dormant cuttings, As fresh or green might not survive 3 or 4 days in the mail. Dormant cuttings are harder to root outside in the late fall. I’m going to bring them in then they should all root. I started rooting the Minaj Smyreu last fall, and they still have not took. Well looks like two might.
I took some green cuttings off my elderberries last week. I’m also trying to root honeyberries from green cuttings.
I find elderberries a lot easier to root. They root so fast you can leave the foliage on, and most of the time it just wilts a little before growing.

I’ve got a branch of Minaj that I’m pretty sure has air layered itself that’s got your name on it, btw.

Scott

Sounds good to me!

I’m surprised medlar does not get much love. From the list above I have several varieties of Currants (back and red), Gooseberries, Medlars, Honeysuckles, Juneberries too, but this year will be their first fruiting. Of these a good medlar tastes much better than any of them. Currants and gooseberries are very good, Honeysuckles are nice too, but medlar (a good one) is just better. Of course that’s my personal preference.

Hristo, do you have a favorite variety of medlar ?

I bought kiwi at the grocery store. You need a male and female for the hardy kiwi. They had them for $10 each, but they put them in a tall paper starter pot and fill it with sphagnum moss and they were all dry. The male died on me or was dead, and I am waiting for one with life in it but they keep on stocking dead dried up plants! I might have to order a male plant.

Around here I have access to only 2 varieties - a large fruited and a small fruited.The large one is OK, but the small one is among my favorite fruits for taste. They have no known names, locally they are simply called small and large, although the large one has to be one of the named varieties available in Europe (btw it’s seeds are always empty). That said I have no base for comparison and as a result I have no explanation for myself why so rarely people list medlar among their favorite fruits. Is it because most people grow inferior varieties or is it the proper bletting that spoils everything… maybe something else?! This year I’m going to graft a few of the named varieties and maybe after a few years will have a better explanation for myself why is that.

Well said. The history of its use and demise over the centuries is very interesting, and the marketing of it by internet sellers is disgusting in my opinion.

I would exclude Lingonberry from the list. Though it is one of the most healthy berry, it is bitter-tart, better consumed as fresh jam or tea, but it would be very tough to grow enough of it in the garden - it is more like ground cover, and berries are also very small. And I believe it needs special growing conditions, in the wild it grows in the woods, often near swamps.