What Are Your Top 2 Fruits From this List?

And one more note about black currant. If you pickle vegetables - black currant leaves make a huge difference. Add them as spice like you add fresh dill - the aroma is amazing). You can also use fresh leaves for tea.

1 Like

Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea) is a healthy fruit, but comes up short in nutrient density in comparison with Bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus).

I think they have different medicine properties, and kind of difficult to compare… But Bilberry is much more pleasant to eat raw, so yes, it gets you more nutrients :smiley:

No, unless you’re superstitious. See “Herbs Demystified”, Holly Phanauf; page 42-47.

Perhaps you missed the point of “nutrient density”.

Richard, I use to use both (wild) for health purpose - I am from Russia, and they are very popular there… So Bilberry is for stomach issues, eye health, and Lingonberry is mainly for urinary tract health, but also used for common cold… Though, I guess, they both have other common properties too, like vitamins. How do you measure density? Per weight, volume or square footage required to grow?

Folklore.

Per weight.

No not true, the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada does suggest
that women who often get UTIs drink pure cranberry-lingonberry juice to
reduce their risk.
Researchers now believe that cranberries (and lingonberries) contain substances that prevent
infection-causing bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract walls.
There are a couple of different theories about how exactly cranberries
do this.

For most of our existence on this earth, we didn’t have drugs. I myself think folk medicine has a whole lot to offer. We already knew this works especially for woman prone to infections. Recent studies have confirmed it.You need pure 100% juice. Not a watered down mix.

1 Like

You can read about the real research here: “Herbs Demystified”, Holly Phanauf; Marlow & Company 2005.

. So much more has been done since 11 years ago. But even 11 years ago the benefits of ligonberries was well known.
Ligonberry is very good stuff
http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Lingonberry-juice-may-help-normalise-blood-vessel-function-Study?utm_source=copyright&utm_medium=OnSite&utm_campaign=copyright

This is important to me as I suffer from high blood pressure. I have been trying to use organic methods of control. Besides reducing risk of stroke and so many things. These are truly super fruits.

Here’s a very good study showing a significant reduction in urinary tract infections in woman.
http://www.bmj.com/content/322/7302/1571

A 50% reduction is extremely significant. No denying it works, it is anything but folklore.

1 Like

You misunderstood what I was referring to as folklore, nor does it seem you understood the different medical descriptions of these fruits in Dr. Phanauf’s book.