What can I grow for an early harvest?

No,not dandelion

Ah then, does your mystery plant have a name?

Hm, I’m guessing we are marginal here but several sites claim loquat is hardy to zone 7. Do you think it might grow but not fruit?

Might be worth a try…

Citrus in pots. Most ripen between Thanksgiving and Valentine’s day. But then you’ll need a greenhouse. And once you have a greenhouse you’ll need more trees. And then you’ll need a bigger greenhouse. It’s a nasty cycle. Lol.

2 Likes

Is your greenhouse heated?

My weeping mulberry (from EL) is almost finished fruiting for the season. It’s a great early fruiter. And, the fruits are tasty too.

Well established loquat trees can tolerate a low temperature of 12 F. However, at 25 F the seed is killed, causing the fruit to fall. Since loquat fruits develop in winter, this means that trees will grow but will not fruit beyond Zone 9.

2 Likes

Thistle

Wow, my weeping mulberry is barely starting to leaf out. I believe it came from EL as well.

My illinois overbearing is the earlier of the two, but we are several weeks out at least from ripe fruit.

The thistle in my yard is extremely prickly, it’s a horrible hazard to bare feet.

I’ve never seen non prickly thistle.

I probably have that too, that thistle has purple flowers. It’s spring young leaf is edible too. The one on the picture has yellow flowers, grow about ~2’, maybe called sowthistle.

1 Like

I have planted some loquats. They haven’t fruited yet, but I’m fairly confident that they will.

I’m located in zone 8a. I have seen loquat trees that had fruit the past three years, so I don’t think you have to be zone 9.

And, the house that has the loquats — the loquats are finishing up there also.

1 Like

Wow! Can’t believe that your mulberry is just starting to leaf! I’ve had my mulberry for about 7-8 years, so I’m not sure if maturity has anything to do with it.

My mulberry is actually a bit late this year. On FB, i saw pics of us picking the fruit at least 2 weeks before they were ready this year.

1 Like

I think I may have your kind as well, I didn’t know it was a thistle. How do you eat it?

The other kind we mostly call prickly weed :smiley:

Sorrel is the first thing up in our garden. We make a creamy sorrel soup.

1 Like

Pick young leaf in spring time when it’s tender. wash, chop, then sautee w/o meat, put it in soup, or salad. It’s supposed to be healthy edible weed .

1 Like

Here are my mulberry trees this morning.

Eta ugh just noticed the packing boxes in the grass. Looks like my kids have been busy back here :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, I need to plant more sorrel!

I used to have a patch, a helpful family member destroyed it thinking it was a weed.

1 Like

If I sow spinach seeds in late fall, it will come back very early next spring. I am in zone 6.
Also, if you eat fennel leaves, you can leave fennel bulb in the ground, fennel leaves come out early in the spring.

1 Like

BTW,Where did you get ramson for planting?