What can I grow for an early harvest?

I’m starving for something fresh from the garden :slight_smile:
I grow ramsons, which are lovely as an early spring green–but after their brief season I don’t have anything fresh to harvest until strawberries in June.

Help! What can I grow to fill the gap?

I’m in zone 7a.

1 Like

What about honeyberry they are a shade earlier than strawberry? Honeyberry ripen in mid to late May. I know very little about haskaps or honeyberries so others can chime in and tell you much more about them. I’m told haskaps are good but I’m not sure their ripening time and it could be very different from honeyberry.

1 Like

Geraldi dwarf mulberry.

(Raintree has some in stock right now).

2 Likes

asparagus

4 Likes

I am no expert on the subject, but you might consider edible mushroom culture.

2 Likes

Some species of chives and other onion/ alliums are ready for harvest in spring. Look into ramps, leeks, etc.

2 Likes

I just realized that a ramson is an allium, so I guess you already have that covered.

2 Likes

Picked some poke weed yesterday…that’s an early harvest item.

2 Likes

Rhubarb. dandelion, rocket, watercress -and possibly overwintered greens, including chard, spinach, lettuce, kale; check out Fedco’s asian greens selection of choys, mizuna, mustards, and so on.

7 Likes

No need to grow , this is edible and grows plenty itself in the yard
IMG_20180517_204435445

8 Likes

I’ve thought about planting ramps as well–supposed to be very similar to ransom but maybe the harvest dates would be a bit different?

I’ve never tasted ramps; I used to forage for ransom in the woods in Austria so was very happy to find a source for them in the US.

1 Like

Dandelion I have plenty of, but it is mostly too bitter for me. My chickens love it!

I did see seeds for a cultivated variety that is supposed to be less bitter…

2 Likes

I love mulberries, if this one is early I definitely need to look into it!

2 Likes

I love all of these ideas, hoping to hear even more!

2 Likes

Not dandelion in the picture

1 Like

Radishes grow pretty quick, you can get a decent crop in about 4-6 weeks after plantiing.

2 Likes

You might consider Loquats.

1 Like

I don’t think loquats will fruit in Zone 7a.

1 Like

photo was indeed dandelion… I have some here that are ‘leafier’ than others; less bitter if you pick them young.
Have been eating chickweed and dandelion salad once or twice a day for the past month.
Mulberry leaves are edible… I prefer young tender ones.
Serviceberries probably still a couple of weeks off - if one can beat the birds to them.
noticed that some of the mulberries are coloring up, so it won’t be all that long til they’re ready.

3 Likes

I’m in 7b, and my Nanking cherries started ripening about a week ago. The serviceberries here started ripening this week.

3 Likes