What did you eat today - that you grew?

:smile:.

10 Likes

YC Squash… SS100…
I picked a few more pink brandwine and big beef not pictured.

Squash, tomatoes and soon okra… will be whats for dinner for a while.

9 Likes

First Red Haven of the season , little under ripe but still good balance of acid and sweetness. Birds are after them never seen birds that much interested in our peaches.

14 Likes

I buy Melozio and Fortado . . . and sometimes the ‘Costa Rica’ one.

My Red Baron peaches are turning red, but the hard part about growing fruit is knowing when to pick them. Maybe I will pick a few this weekend.

My no spray espaliered Golden Dorsett I got the tree on sale at Home Depot for half price. This year the squirrels don’t eat enough of them, lately they disappeared too, so today my husband and I had to use a ladder to pick them, they were all over my neighbor’s yard.

7 Likes

Fried okra, boiled Red Pontiac potatoes, Silver King corn on the cob, green beans, a huge sweet red bell pepper, 2 tasty Tokiwa cucumbers, a pan of cowpeas, and a plate full of sliced red and pink tomatoes. That was supper along with a pan of fresh made cornbread. I had enough for 4 people to eat all we wanted and still put half of it in the refrigerator for tomorrow.

5 Likes

Ive grown both for years myself. Those look like ‘jewel’ to me.

I don’t want to scroll up 1000 of post to find my old post/pic. All I can say is Earliglo has a long neck. Jewel does not.

apologies for replying two years later, but yeah, that was my thinking.

‘jewel’ is still ripening here- quite late, probably a result of the frost setting them back.

berry bonanza is underway here. Amelanchiers are about gone. Goumis too (birds) gooseberries and currants are prime to a bit past. Usually we’d be eating mulberries about now. Not so, since the frost knocked them back badly, forcing them to regrow from epicormic buds. Even though they usually fruit heavily on new growth (though also on spurs) I see only a very light crop forming on most, except my one big IE tree, which is loaded. I expect itll be near August when theyre ready, which is quite late. Blueberries are right on time. Theyve been loving all of this rain. Last several years have featured some extended droughts

2 Likes

Finally got my first few tomatoes today, the first to produce was Puerto Cortes from EFN, which had an interesting “spiciness” (tingly tongue) that I don’t usually get from tomatoes, but other than that they had a mild flavor. I ate them without remembering to take a photo though :confused:.

1 Like

Pick this much everyday.

18 Likes

i like that you phrased that in the imperative

2 Likes

Fresh and hot honeyberry and oatmeal muffins! Yum!

9 Likes

No photo but grilled (indoors though) some Korean zucchini with some Tony Chachere’s.

Topped with an omelet. Added some milk and potato powder slurry to it. Made it light and silky.

If I made it look like the typical French omelet I would have taken a photo…

2 Likes

I worked with a woman whose last name was “Chachere”. She made a point of introducing herself, spelling her name, then emphasizing that it is pronounced “Sash-Ray”. But putting that aside, I keep some Tony Chachere’s in the freezer and use it several times a month. It is excellent with a bit of garlic on butter cooked shrimp.

In south Louisiana (where the seasoning is from) we pronounce it ‘sa-shur-ee’.

Don’t know why.

I’m one of those ‘eaux’ ending Cajun last names… Which is just pronounced ‘o’. At least that one is easy.

1 Like

It is hard to give it the phonetic spelling the way she said it, but it was very close to “Sash-(short e)-Raee”, She was from Louisiana. Very intelligent woman, was working as a project manager and called me in as a subject matter expert to help with some problem circuits they were trying to turn up in a phone office.

2 Likes

that looks fabulous!

That’s about the way all of mine are. And they tend to ripen within a short window of time.

1 Like

First BLT of the season with my first ripe tomato.
It’s an Oregon Star and a very tasty and solid tomato. Garden lettuce and homemade rustic bread.*

19 Likes