What did you eat today - that you grew?

Saturn peaches are coming in. I did not expect them to be so early.

20 Likes

Similar to yours, currants, gooseberries, mulberry, raspberry, and plum.

19 Likes

Only the cilantro is from my garden.

13 Likes

That is a bowl of beauty. I canā€™t grow currants and when I was in England, I couldnā€™t even find a jar to take home, I like the taste.

4 Likes

You know the fruit is always tastier in another climateā€¦ OK maybe not the best grass is greener alteration.

I do find it a bit frustrating for no good reason knowing there are so many things growing and being eaten out there that I canā€™t grow where I am.

I am sandwiched between temperate and tropical climates so many colder location fruits are a no go, but it gets just cold enough just often enough here that I canā€™t grow the tropicals.

1 Like

Not always, I found strawberries taste the best in England, very tasty and fragrant. My local strawberries are just big, you think with the sun in California, it would have better tasting strawberries.
Same with tangerines, France and Amsterdam had the sweetest tangerines, maybe from Tangier, but they taste better than my local fruit, ours are sweet, but not intensely so.

Strawberry is hardy for this area. There is a strawberry festival about 20 miles from me every year. There is an occasional late freeze that impacts them since itā€™s a very early fruit.

Satsuma is the citrus commercial crop in deep south Louisiana as itā€™s probably the cold hardiest citrus. I may plant one this fall after reading up that it can handle all the cold here except for the odd yearā€¦ At least as established trees.

On the tropical side Iā€™d love to be able to grow star fruit, mango, rambutanā€¦

2 Likes

Interesting, I no longer eat those fruit, I only eat Jack Fruit and Longan for tropical fruit, I donā€™t even buy dragon fruit. Iā€™m also digging out my Lychee trees.

I found the same. In US, I really didnā€™t have had any strawberries that I want to eat. There are bigger looking strawberries in supermarket but they are tasteless. I wonā€™t buy it even for 0.99/lb . Lack of the fragrant is another element missing in US fruit markets. Nowadays, I try to avoid buying extra large fruits. The larger it is, the tasteless itā€™s.

4 Likes

No kidding, I bought some large donut peaches recently, I prefer my tiny donut peaches that I managed to harvest this year from my garden. They were so tasty, I hope I get some next year.

Love it! Are those Illinois everbearing mulberries? I just got a tree last year and had my first small harvest. Delicious!

1 Like

Quint, That bread looks absolutely fabulous!

2 Likes

Thanks, Karen. Sheā€™s been making some wonderful rustic breads like Ciabatta and baguettes. We seldon eat store bought bread anymore. Hope youā€™re keeping cool back there. Great weather but dry here.

3 Likes

Not eaten yet but hereā€™s my next tomato meal. A delicious Black Sea Man.

7 Likes

Yes, they are IE mulberry. Mulberry is one of my favorite berry. IE is sweet , juicy and have good size. I start to harvest IE mulberries from early July to mid / end Aug.

2 Likes

Carrots and sun dried oregano, making moussaka, Greek lasagna with eggplants vs pasta. Iā€™m trying to recreate the same dish I had in Crete, itā€™s delicious. Of course this is the first time Iā€™m making bechamel sauce.
Recipe is here

Making shredded carrots and garbanzo beans for salad.

2 Likes

Ever since growing my own strawberries it has completely ruined grocery store strawberries - so far from perfectly ripe, so bland

4 Likes

Iā€™ve made moussaka before and it was very good.
A nice change from regular lasagne.

2 Likes

I just picked my first big tomato, itā€™s Giant Belgium, itā€™s soft and wonā€™t turn red, plus I see my apples are being sampled by something, so I harvested it.

5 Likes

@SoCalGardenNut ā€¦ We make low carb chaffles to sub for breadā€¦ they are made from mostly cheese and a little almond flour.

1 chaffleā€¦ 3 slices of crispy bacon and about a half inch slice of that tomatoā€¦ Mmmmm Good.

My wife would slather it in mayo tooā€¦ not meā€¦ dont like mayo.

4 Likes