What did you make with your pic of the day?

The pic of the day is fun, but it doesn’t tell the whole story.
Just to show the progression here.
1.The table of tomatoes.
2.The juiced and skinned/seeded tomatoes.
3. And the dinners we will be enjoying this winter.
This was the 2nd batch. Maybe we’ll do one more.

13 Likes

Excellent and beautifully photographed!

Thanks! I hope to see more from others.

A flight of chili powders.

5 Likes

I’m working on some now. What did you grind/blend it with to get that consistency?

Just a regular old cheap coffee grinder that I use for spices, then dump it in a fine sieve and work it through.

1 Like

Herb paste or Green Gold. I had to grab everything before the hard frost hit. Mostly parsley, chives, walking onion greens and celery leaves. Some oregano and thyme added in too. Red wine, lemon juice and olive oil added to help it liquefy. It’s frozen into pucks and will making our cooking so much better all winter!

6 Likes

I picked a few Calville Blanc D’Hiver and my mother made a Tarte Tatin.
It was awesome.

In Portugal we call it esparregado… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

We had a blessed garden year for squash so I wanted something a bit different to use up the last, fresh yellow squash. So I found a recipe online for yellow squash cheddar biscuits and they were really good, husband approved. Also used fresh tomatoes, onion and herbs from the garden to make a very simple tomato soup to go along with the biscuits.

6 Likes

Amazing. You will definitely enjoy your bounty this winter.

That herb paste looks great. I brought in pots of herbs before our first frost and the walking onions in the garden are still good to dig up and use the green from the stalk. I may have to try this.I do have a lot of basil pesto in the freezer to enjoy this winter and the herb paste with the addition of wine would be nice also. Thank you.

1 Like

Fabulous!

My wife made cactus fruit gumdrops.

10 Likes

Wow, I have never heard of such a thing. I can’t even imagine what they taste like. Enjoy!

They taste a lot like Boysenberry.
Cactus fruit cupcakes are great too.

3 Likes

Thank you!

Zucchini meatballs with a simple marinara sauce. I found the zucchini meatball recipe on YouTube, and it sounded like a great way to use up the endless supply. Grate the zucchini (3) and let drain, squeeze out all excess liquid and add a med. Finely chopped onion, a couple cloves of chopped garlic, (you can saute both in a pan of olive oil if you choose) 1 1/2 cups fine bread crumbs, 1 cup grated pecorino cheese, 2 eggs, salt and pepper to taste, a handful of finely chopped parsley. Mix, form into balls and press each ball with your thumb and fill the imprint with mozzarella (made the mozzarella) then cover back around with mix. Deep fry in oil for 5 minutes turning a few times till deep golden brown. Drain on paper towels. You could probably bake these also, but have not tried that yet. I dipped meatballs (minus the meat :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:) in a homemade marinara sauce.

3 Likes

Wow! Interesting! I bet they are good!

I’m pretty sure I would like those!
It’s funny, as a little kid I couldn’t probably think of anything worse than zucchini. Of course at that point in time I don’t think my mom’s only recipe was doing it any favors, lol.
These days there are just so many fabulous recipes. Such a versatile vegetable, I suppose it’s actually a fruit…but whatever.

1 Like