What disease is on my grapes?

Hi,

I’m new to growing grapes. Could people please identify these two different diseases on my grapes? Each leaf is from a different grape vine. Only a few of my vines are infected. Once identified, how do I treat and prevent them in the future? Preferably organic means, if possible. I’m in zone 5b/6a, these are one year old vines.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Janet, I very much doubt if either one is caused by a disease.The first picture looks like a burn. The second looks like some type of chlorosis. Nutrient toxicities and deficiencies could be your problem. Depending on how much of the leaves are displaying this, a soil test might be advised, if you have not already done so.

2 Likes

They both look like a nutrient issue to me. Look up pictures of nutrient deficiencies and compare with your leaves.

2 Likes

The first picture isn’t Pierce’s disease?

Your zone is very likely too cold for that disease.

1 Like

Pierces’s disease will show a yellow border between green and brown tissue. After the leaves drops the petioles will remain attached giving the vine a matchsticks appearance. According to the map, I am supposed to be in a location where it is rare but I am seeing it more and more.:fearful:
http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/pub/php/research/2008/pierces/

1 Like