What diseases besides fireblight are pears resistant to?

Sometimes those of us who grow pears get hung up on fireblight and we forget all the other things pears need to be resistant to such as scab, rust, rot, psylla, blossom blast, decline, Fabraea Leaf Spot, pear leaf spot etc. I’ve noticed harrow delight seems highly resistant to many diseases. What pears are working out for you in your area? Here are a few helpful links on diseases of pears and resistance.

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/gardening/fphg/pome/diseases/photos

1 Like

Hood.

1 Like

As an example see the link http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/120217/european-pear-varieties.pdf and go to the line on harrow delight. Harrow Delight is resistant to Fire blight , Moderately resistant to Pear Blast , resistance to Scab is unknown but I have seen it be resistant this year, it’s resistant to rust in my experience etc… Harrow delight is considered a Mid season bloomer. It also ripens very early which increases chances of getting better fruit. I would highly recommend growing harrow delight by what I have seen so far! I will tell you about size of fruit and taste in 2-5 years depending on how early it fruits. Pictures of harrow delight fruit can be seen on page 14 of the same pdf. Don’t plant to many it’s not a keeper.

1 Like

HARROW DELIGHT
Origin: Williams’ x Purdue 80-51 (Old Home x
Early Sweet), R.E.C.Layne, Harrow, Ontario,
Canada.
Tree: Moderately vigorous, upright, spreading,
precocious. Round oval leaf with attenuate tip,
very small serrations.
Disease Status: High resistance to fire
blight, but less resistant than Potomac.
Susceptible to Psylla. Very susceptible to
two spotted mite.
Chilling Requirement: High.
Blossom and pollination: Mid season, Beurré
Bosc, Williams’, Harvest Queen, Beurré
d’Anjou, (PKT).
Fruit: Ovate pyriform, short storage, medium
size, can be improved by thinning.
Skin and flesh: Light green with light
blush, prominent lenticels. Buttery and very
juicy flesh, free of stone cells, good
flavour.
Harvest: Very early season, 2 weeks before
Williams’, tends to drop heavily as it
matures, so fruit should be picked while still
green, productive, consistently good
cropper.
Storage: Short.

Harrow Delight is also easy to grow here. Surprisingly, so is Bartlett. Others include Duchess, Sheldon, and Aurora although they may need more protection from psyla than H. delight, H. sweet and Bartlett. Magness is also a very strong growing tree- someday I hope to be able to report on the fruit. Here in the S. NY area, I’ve never seen serious problems with Korean Giant except for stink bugs and coddling moth. At some sites it is a perfect no-spray tree (not mine).
Seckel is not bad either and really gets up the sugar. It can ripen on the tree with no loss in quality as well. .

1 Like

Duchess is highly resistant at my location also Alan. It’s an excellent pear. Bartlett does not typically have problems here either. Korean Giant is doing fine and not showing any signs of disease. The other pears you mentioned I have no experience with. Wanted to mention the pdf suggests Potomac is more resistant than harrow delight on at least some things. Potomac did extremely well this year but it’s still years away from producing fruit!

1 Like

I wouldn’t recommend all the ones I listed to you. I’m sure some would succumb to FB there. I have no idea about the relative susceptibility of Aurora.

1 Like