What do ripe Key Limes look like

I put my potted citrus trees outside this summer, and am getting ready to move them back into the greenhouse, as freezing temps are not far off. Part of that getting ready is picking the ripe fruit off them that likely will come off during transport. The Meyer lemons looks fine, but I am probably a bit late in harvesting most of the key limes, and I am now wondering if this really is a key lime tree.

The “limes” have mostly ripened to an orange skin color, and the flesh is also orange. If I didn’t know they were supposed to be key limes, I’d say they were some sort of miniature orange. The taste is still fairly sour although there is a fair amount of sweetness too.

Back when I got this tree (many years ago), I did some comparison of the leaves and convinced myself that it was indeed a key lime. But this orange skin and flesh has me wondering.

Does anyone here know what ripe (or over ripe) key limes are supposed to taste and look like?

TIA

My Key Limes turn bright yellow and are very fragrant. They are twice the size of a quail egg. So sorry can’t find my pics of my pies or key limes.

“Key” limes refers to limes grown in the Florida Keys that were largely wiped out in a long-ago hurricane. I would be curious to know if the modern Key Lime remains a single varietal whose parentage can be traced back to the Florida limes.

Is yours a Rangpur lime? They are orange

Thanks. I’ve included a pic (not the best focus but as good as my camera would do).

Not exactly yellow (actually not even close). I suppose it could be a Rangpur or other sort of lime, but this was a small tree from a not that great nursery. So more likely it would be some rootstock and not some other type of specialty lime.

The fruit are sour and “citrus y” but not like a store bought lime in flavor or smell. I just have never had a fresh key lime before, so I don’t have anything to compare it to.

They are the right size. The interior and exterior is usually not as orange as shown in your pictures. They may be over ripe. I don’t have a tree but have bought them many times. The the skins are green or partially green and the interior is a yellow green. The flavor is different from the standard large lime.

1 Like

Thanks Dennis. I have sampled these fruit at the earlier green stage, and the insides are a light green. Still didn’t remind me of the flavor of store bought limes, although they had the right coloring. These are likely over-ripe as shown; a few have started falling off the tree on their own. But this is the stage (maybe a bit late) that we prefer them. They are sweeter and still have a lot of tartness.

I suppose it doesn’t matter that much whether it is a genuine key lime, something else, or just a root stock, we like the fruit it provides and it is productive for us. But I guess something bothered me about the chance I had been caring for some random root stock all these years :grin:

Ten inches of snow and KeyLime Pie!

Using fruit

Jan '16 - I’ve had the tree for four years now and this is the first year I had enough limes to make two pies. What a treat in the middle of January. Matt, you’ve got to find some vertical space. Use a pedestal for your container if necessary. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: DSC01499.JPG //growingfruit-images.s3

1 Like

I remember that post. I think my potted figs are a success, maybe it’s time to try citrus, though I am not sure I have enough light in the winter to keep them happy

1 Like

Here is what some key limes I picked look like. The outside is still dark green yet has a few lighter areas. The inside flesh is orange and very tasty.

Are these too unripe or are the ones that turn orange ( as posted above) too ripe and get bitter inside? Not sure since this is the first year I have grown them indoors in a greenhouse.

1 Like

I do not believe that is a true ‘Key Lime’. They are almost round and yellow green on the outside when ripe and pale yellow on the inside. I grew them for years. My tree died last year. But there are pics on this site. Look up Key Lime Pie. The photographs might be under that heading.

These are dark green on the outside yet bright orange on the inside. It surprised me to see the pics above compared to the ones on the tree I have. They taste good , not bitter or sour. I have no idea what this tree is then if it not a key lime tree.
Is there an “ornamental Key lime” tree? Are the fruits of that tree different than a regular key lime tree?