Ten inches of snow and Key Lime Pie!

I’ve had the tree for four years now and this is the first year I had enough limes to make two pies. What a treat in the middle of January. Matt, you’ve got to find some vertical space. Use a pedestal for your container if necessary.:heart_eyes:

Citrus is King! You’re right Mr. Clint!

10 Likes

Mmmmm! Key lime pie is one of my favorites. Looks great, Mrs. G!

1 Like

Delicious!

Tony

1 Like

Oh man that’s awesome! I’m drooooooooooooling.

1 Like

Mrs. G.
Very impressive. The tree, the pie and the cook.

1 Like

Love Key Lime! thought you got hit with more around your area.

1 Like

Your tree looks like it’s been getting a good balance of light to the temperature in that room. It’s a happy citrus tree!

Mine has a few almost ready key limes hanging now, but not enough to make pie this go round. People have been picking them to use! It does have some young ones the size of the end of my pinky and it’s putting out lots of blooms and some leaf flushes, but it’s going to be quite a while before I can make any more pies from it. You make me wish I could go do that right now, even without snow on the ground. Yum!

I’ll just enjoy yours virtually until I can make my own again. I’m sitting across the table from you right now. :yum:

1 Like

MMMMMMM! Looks delicious!

1 Like

Great looking Tree and Pie! Mmm

1 Like

Well done!

1 Like

Thanks all. Wished you all lived closer there are only a few slices left. :yum:

The rest of you are too slow. Not any left now. I just ate 'em. :wink:

1 Like

I remember the first time we had enough. Those where the best Key Lime pies I ever had. Our problem now is we keep using the limes for water or other drinks and never have enough to make pies. LOL.

1 Like

MrsG, that looks yummy! MrG is very lucky!!

1 Like

Hello MrsG! That key lime pie, and your plant look fantastic!! How old is your key lime plant, and how long did it take you to get fruit?? I love key lime pie, and usually make it at least once a year from store bought key limes. Last year I ordered a plant from Gurneys, and it is doing well so far. The tree has grown about a foot in height and width so far. No blossoms yet, and it is a thorny little sucker… LOL. I ordered another one for spring delivery as I want too make sure I have plenty of key limes for baking and in drinks, jams etc… They will stay in containers and be kept in my sunroom during the winter.

Ginny

1 Like

Ginny, they are a very wonderful plant (small tree). Yes, they are very thorny and those darn things bite you way too often. It had taken three years to get over 40 limes on the tree. As you can see the limes have just finished ripening for this year but it is already beginning to flower again. I want the tree to rest a bit because it has just produced so many limes for a young tree. This spring will mark its fourth summer outdoors where it thrives. It will bloom hard this summer and by the end of Oct. it will be full of fruit again and ripen by next Jan. I order my citrus from Four Winds. They are the best. My ‘Moro’ blood orange is sending out a lot of new leaves. Very exciting. It takes a long time to get many. 40 limes makes two pies!

1 Like

There’s a solution to that.

MrsG said, " they are very thorny and those darn things bite you way too often."

Nail clippers. I can’t be the only one who trims thorns off my citrus. It adds new meaning to creating a well manicured tree.

3 Likes

Do you have just the one key lime tree? Is it a dwarf, or regular size? 40 key limes is really good for a three year old tree. Especially if you get at least two pies out of it! :smile:
Do the blossoms smell as good as a Meijer lemon? I have a almost, one year old dwarf Meijer lemon plant, and the blossoms smell amazing. I started to get a few nice lemons from it for the first time, but when it turned cold in my sunroom, (Late December) I had to bring my citrus inside and the fruit fell off. Sad face…Lol… Must have been from the change in temperature and light.

Ginny

1 Like

LOL! That would be quite the task! The lime tree would be more manicured than the fingers on my own hands!! :wink:

Ginny

Ginny, Key Limes don’t really grow on trees its really becoming more of a bush. It is not grafted but on self roots. The bushes I’ve seen in the Keys in Fla. get quite wide but not all that tall. (only the ones I’ve seen and picked in the past). I have my bush/tree in a very large container that is about three feet tall. Yes the blossoms smell divine, however they are half the size of Meyer Lemon flowers and look like little stars. All of the young citrus I have had lose flowers and fruit in the beginning. After years two and three they hang on to their fruit. They are very sensitive to light. Mine spend the summer out of doors which is hot and humid and they flourish. I move them indoors at the end of Oct. so they get as much sun as possible. They now hang on to all of their fruit and then start re-blooming. They are starting to bloom now. They are only in a south facing window with sheer curtains and seem to love it. I’m not going to change what seems to be working for me! They love the new fertilizers that Hoosierquilt recommended! Hope this all helps.

1 Like