What do you think about this combination

Cute!

2 Likes

I didnā€™t know it was unusual to put salt and spice on watermelon? Iā€™ve been doing it for 30 years on corn, watermelon and cantaloupe grew up in the country, Terre Haute, IN.

I love trying different foods and combinations. Best combination was putting Thousand Island dressing on school pizza and lasagna.

2 Likes

Have always used salt on my watermelon and salt and pepper on cantaloupe. Love the chili powder mix on jicama and other veggies. Iā€™m not saying I wouldnā€™t taste mustard on watermelon but Iā€™m not going to put it on MY portion of melon to try itā€¦ā€¦. Just sayingā€¦.

2 Likes

I think that I could try one of these watermelon combinations but I wouldnā€™t go out of my way to do so. An even harder one that is common in some areas is to add sugar to my cornbread mix.

5 Likes

I add cream style corn to my corn bread. I could see sugar working.

2 Likes

I agree with youā€”sugar does not belong in cornbread in my house! :flushed::confounded:

3 Likes

woudnā€™t it be honey mustard
or sweet sour Mustard (duck sauce) they give at Chinese food places

Iā€™d try , but do not see it working with that type in picture, but you never know.

I have some Ginger sugar syrup really spicy from candy making think I will try that instead
maybe cut a hole in the melon, and let it marinate in there,.

2 Likes

@k8tpayaso @Auburn I would like to make the case for a small amount of sugar in cornbread. Iā€™m in the savory not sweet cornbread camp, but a tsp or less of sugar can really do wonders for browning and flavor development, while still being savory. My caveat here is that I wonā€™t turn down an otherwise decent sweet cornbread. My opinion (as a Yankee who likes to pretend he knows what heā€™s talking about) is that too much flour in the mix is more of a problem than too much sugar.

1 Like

I personally would try it once. Since I detest watermelon the mustard might make it more tolerable

2 Likes

I used to eat ketchup on rice regularly as a kid! Ketchup fried rice is also definitely a thing.

But I do agree that mustard on watermelon is a step too farā€¦

3 Likes

I have eaten sweet cornbread many times but mostly on out of town business trips. Sometimes they even offer turnip greens which us southerners love to eat with cornbread. I think we develop a taste for how food was prepared as a child. For me, leave out the sugar and flour.

3 Likes

I used to eat warm cornbread with some sugar sprinkled on it and milk poured over as a treat.

3 Likes

Wellā€¦ā€¦ yes. Too much flour can ruin good cornbread and if you have too much flour and too much sugar you can call it cake. I will agree that a tiny amount of sugar blends flavors so well so I will give you that. But I certainly donā€™t want sweet cornbread with my peas or beans!!!:wink:

3 Likes

Exactly! Although cornmeal cake can be pretty good, too. Just donā€™t call it cornbread!

2 Likes

all this talk about sweet had to bring up
Instead of Oatmeal w/ Sugar try Olive oil, and salt, and pepper
havenā€™t ate it with sugar (cinnamon) for a while just a curiosity one day I tried using the olive oil up.

(edit I forgot Also old oatmeal sat out all day or is drier make into patties suate with oil.)

Rice with Ketup no thanks, but some foods I do not like, and I doctor them up as well
Every things so sweet Ice cream I add Pretzels to balance
if A Flavor I DO NOT like, like Ice cream cake Ice cream I will add mint extract

same with Sloppy Joe Do not like doctor it up with hot Sauce
(another dish I doctor up with Mayo, and Barbeque sauce , but forget which )

Speaking of Mayo can add a bit TBSP MAYO in Sour Tomato (paste or sauce)
makes a savory Tasting sauce balances the Sour (found experimenting with a tiny amount)

Now I do like A simple thing of tuna made , but after going on a binge being lazy too salty
Now I dilute with cooked rice can actually taste the Herbs better after like Celery Seeds in the mix
(chilled Tuna, Mayo, Chives, , celery seed/ leaf,
and a lot of cooled rice on bread Preferably toasted rye simple enough)

2 Likes

I have tried the oatmeal with olive oil and it was pretty good but my favorite is oatmeal/butter/salt. I never add sugar to oatmeal except for no bake oatmeal/chocolate drop cookies.

I like the name cake.

1 Like

Will try one day Oatmeal with Butter & salt Thank you, also

Maybe I will try Miso soup in it or something like soy sauce was eyeing the bottle the other day
I had bought a 50 Lb bag of oat meal so been eating it in the morning for over a year.
(i leave it in boiling water out the electric tea kettle before I go to bed
so easy, and fast when I wake up to heat up.

2 Likes

OK, so I gave it a try yesterday. The watermelon I had wasnā€™t particularly high quality, nice crunch but a little lacking in sweetness and flavor. The mustard I used was a decent quality ā€œstone groundā€ mustard. It mostly tasted like mustard, and it was more like the watermelon was enhancing the mustard than the other way around. That being said, there were hints of some more interesting stuff going on, and I could see how this could be really something with the right combination. I think this needs a really good, sweet watermelon for it actually work, and maybe a milder mustard. Iā€™ll keep trying. I know that sounds weird, but Iā€™ve put in more effort for less payoff on lots of other experiments. And the science isnā€™t going to do itself!

3 Likes

In our home, the number one way we eat oatmeal is with peanut butter in it. For years I made it that way for our children, but my husband was convinced that it didnā€™t go in it (in theory). I finally got him to try it just last year and now he can barely eat oatmeal without the peanut butter in it lol. :smile: I also like it with oil, salt, pepper, fresh chopped garlic and a sprinkle of powdered turmeric.

One finally word about watermelon and mustardā€¦ I will never offend a beautiful, sweet, refreshing chunk of delicious watermelon by putting mustard on it! :laughing:

3 Likes