What do you think about this combination

Would you?
watermelon mustard 195588036_4464452500232809_5358761680199050937_n

1 Like

I heard that was going around. I’ll pass……

5 Likes

I first said no and then I decided to try it assuming we have melons from the garden.

2 Likes

Maybe if it was Grey Poupon. But that just looks barbaric.

4 Likes

like mustard. love watermelon. watermelon with mustard is just wrong! love me a peanut butter/ banana sandwich.

6 Likes

Love me a peanut butter, banana and mayonnaise sandwich, you got to have the mayonnaise on there.

Watermelon and mustard I would try it, don’t think I would like it, but I would try it

3 Likes

Idiots on tick tok or whatever the social media platform is called say it tastes like an onion, watermelon, balsamic salad. I personally say they are lazy and have no taste buds or culinary skills.

3 Likes

Nope! Its like putting Ketchup on rice.

4 Likes

Actually, the more I think about it, the mustard/watermelon thing could totally work. Slice of watermelon topped with a little Dijon mustard, a thin slice of prosciutto, a couple sprigs of arugula, some shaved Manchego cheese, and a little white wine vinegar and fresh ground black pepper.

2 Likes

Someone just messed up what looks like a perfectly good watermelon! :woozy_face:

5 Likes

Hell no!

3 Likes

Don’t know about this! I did see from youtube that watermelons in Mexico are sold sprinkled with chilli powder and salt and good amount of lemon juice squeezed over. Not sure if that’s true or not but I tried it and it was delicious!!

3 Likes

I’d give it a shot. Stranger combinations have turned out amazing. Mustard plays well with sweet and fruity flavors (see Trinidad hot sauce made with mustard and mango). The larger issue for me is that I don’t usually have enough watermelon to bother with anything other than eating it as-is. My instinct would be to use a sharper mustard, but watermelon has a mild flavor so mild mustard may be the way to go.

@californicus chile and lemon or lime (or just the chile) works great for a lot of fruits. Try sprinkling mango with cayenne powder for a real treat.

Also worth noting: the biggest difference between foods we find gross and foods we find appealing is whether we grew up eating them.

4 Likes

The video did say lime which makes sense. Yes, mango (slightly unripe) I know very well as I grew up doing that. Just didn’t imagine that’ll work with watermelon. Really surprised how well it paired with watermelon.

2 Likes

Salt, sugar (esp. palm sugar) and ground chilli pepper combo is very common in Southeast Asia when eating green mangoes.

Salt on watermelons is not uncommon, either.

4 Likes

Hope I am not taking over this topic. Here is the video. He is a British chef, so not sure about the authenticity, but it was delicious. I still surprise my friends with this.

3 Likes

I have always been one to enjoy a watermelon without adding anything on it but many people in my area use salt. I don’t know if I will try these other options but they are interesting and different.

2 Likes

Also worth trying: black pepper. It’s great on honeydew and other melons. I don’t remember if I’ve done it with watermelon, but it would probably be good there, too.

1 Like

Roast hot dogs over the fire… use mustard on that :slight_smile:

A perfectly ripe watermelon, needs nothing else - but eating.

JMO … TNHunter

1 Like

But…

4 Likes