What do you think about this

All white patch below the blackish tree line is apple orchard fields .This picture was taken in winters , you can also see some apple trees in the lower side of the frame .

4 Likes

Without context, it is not very impressive. Where was it taken? Are the trees actively managed? Where are the fruit marketed?

3 Likes

Looks like a frozen lake at the bottom of the slopes…and trees sticking out of the ice.
Siberia?Kazakstan?Romania?

1 Like

These apple orchard fields are situated in the Northern India that is part of the Himalayas . Due to hills our apple orchard fields maybe confuse you ,if I am right you grow fruits on the flat surface . We are commercial apple producer since 2005 , Our regional apple industry is small ( 50billion) as compare other region of the world we have well organised system to sell our crop but sometimes topography of our region do not allow to accelerate our fruit production .

My intention is just join this site to get ideas and know what are other farmer doing ,how their experience can help me
I

8 Likes

It is Himalayas

These fields situated in the Northern India

5 Likes

I think that apple trees do fine on those steep slopes…but caring for the trees and harvesting is a lot easier on flat ground. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This type of topography gives us so many challenges

2 Likes

Show us some summertime and harvest photos please.

5 Likes

I’m curious what varieties you’re growing and why you chose those varieties?

What are your biggest pests and how do you deal with them?

Scott

2 Likes

I am sharing these photos so that you can get ideas how do we grew apples

8 Likes

looks like good use of land that is otherwise not so useable.

4 Likes

What varieties are they? Are you familiar with modified central leader pruning.Fruit Tree Training Explained, Modfied Central Leader & Delayed Open Center - YouTube, Pruning a 1 Year Old Apple Tree to a Modified Central Leader Form - YouTube

Royal delicious . Yes we are familiar with central

leader pruning

3 Likes

It is Royal delicious ,

The orchards are up in the mountains because that’s where the climate is right for apples. The low elevations of India are mostly tropical. At least that would be my understanding.

What elevations in India are best for apples?

3 Likes

According to my experience 1000 to 2500 meters above the sea level heights are suitable for apple

Where one side these mountains gives us a suitable climate for apple farming ,other hand there are many other challenges such as we haven’t proper road connectivity ,using limited machines only .

2 Likes

That’s roughly 3000 to 8000 ft elevation. I’m at 4500 ft and 30 degrees north. Winters here are really too warm for apples. But much higher and the season becomes too short.

1 Like

I’m at 3200 ft or roughly 1000 meters, and just under 47 degrees north. Annual rainfall typically about 12". We irrigate, of course. There’s a fair apple industry here.

1 Like

I’m at 2000ft, but our season is right for apples. it must be more difficult if the season up higher is wrong, and any lower is too hot

1 Like