What does The Improved mean?

I have satsuma grafts that are one year old, but I am wondering if the Improved satsuma is anything different, or is it just a nursery sales gimmick?
I tried searching for the variety title, but what comes up in most cases is information on Satsuma. So I would like to know if anyone knows the difference between the well known Satsuma and what some members refer to as the Improved Satsuma?
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

Are you referring to the mandarin (tangerine) cultivars, or?

1 Like

No I am referring to one member that has this variety of plum. So it’s about plum varieties.
Dennis

2 Likes

It’s something that Fruitwood nursery offers. I’ve never seen it anywhere else. I’m thinking it was a branch on their tree that they consider improved.

You could always call fruitwood and ask them.

2 Likes

Good idea,will let you know what I get from them
Thanks
Dennis

1 Like

Improved Satsuma is aka Mariposa plum.

3 Likes

Thanks I just found that out, do you grow it and what do you think of this variety
Dennis

1 Like

Fruitwood has two different listings one each for Mariposa and Satsuma Improved.

They don’t have Improved Satsuma listed as this was noted above to be the same as Mariposa.

2 Likes

Don’t know just sent them a query to find out, good catch, I asked them to explain the difference between Burbanks Satsuma and theirs. May be only a sales gimmick
Dennis
Kent wa

2 Likes

I’m lining up my order so I’ll send an email soon and ask, among other things.

I ordered from them last year for my first time grafting. They have a large selection.

I’ll post the answer.

1 Like

Soon here is Fruitwood Nursery’s reply about Satsuma plum, Satsuma Improved, and Mariposa.

"Mariposa is its own variety, but is said to be an improved variety of the original Satsuma. It is a quite different from Satsuma. Satsuma Improved we got from Mark Albert who said it was the best of the Satsuma cultivars. It is newer to us and hasn’t borne yet, so we are not sure exactly how it compares. Also don’t know if it was a sport of Satsuma or seedling, but as Satsuma is an old and popular variety there was a lot of breeding done with it, so my guess is it is a seedling in a controlled trial.
We will be updating our inventory in early November.

Best,

Marc"

2 Likes