What fruits did you eat today?

Had a 17 brix Golden Delicious and 19 brix Melrose apple, both were great. The Melrose weighed 13.3 oz and probably benifited from the dry weather and the fact that there were only three apples on the whole tree.

3 Likes

You have so many fruit plants/trees as noted in your profile. How did your plums, cherries and peaches do? I am also curious about your gooseberries. Did you get any this year, and if so how were they, and how old are the plants?

@subdood_ky_z6b —> 3 year old Lapins cherry tree produced a bowl a very good sweet cherries. I got a few Stella and Black Gold cherries that were better than I thought they would be. Veteran, Madison, Mckay, Redhaven, Reliance and Contender peaches all produced good amounts of tasty 15 brix peaches. Lots of Hinnomaki Red gooseberries that were o.k. Probably should have thinned them. Hinnomaki Yellow were better but I didn’t get many. Black Velvet gooseberry produced quite a bit and were actually my favorite. All gooseberries are 2 or 3 years old. Carmine Jewel produced a few bowls of cherries, definitely a winner. The rest of my 3 year old sour cherries produced a modest to fair amount, all tasted about the same, all were pretty good. Lots of Concord and Concord-type grapes. No gage plums, no asian or hybrid plums. A handful of euro plums. Castleton, President, Shropshire Damson and Empress were all very good. Only a few apples but they were very good. Only a few asian pears. No apricots yet, no paw paws yet. Raspberries and Blackberries were hit hard by SWD, I might give up on them.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. Wow, that’s a lot of fruit! Sounds like your peach trees are hardy varieties, guess that helps in your location. I have Contender and Redhaven, and hope they do well. My Hinnomaki Red plant was very small when planted and actually doesn’t have any leaves on it now, I hope it recovers next season. My other three GB are doing OK, tho.

Did a late freeze get to yer Asian and hybrid plums, or are they still too young to produce?

Sorry to hear about the SWD with your brambles, that concerns me as we planted quite a few rasps this year, and might plant some blackberries next year.

1 Like

Is that a Mazzard cherry?

My Asian pear was planted in the spring of '15 and has fruited every year since, including '15. The frost probably got some but I think letting it fruit the first year has stunted it a bit. Newly planted Asian pear tree fruiting

1 Like

First taste of Muscat du Venus. Small, hard, striped red over a green background with a faint purple tint. This is a really good, little apple. Sweet and crunchy with an unusual vinous flavor, yellow flesh, a little larger than a golf ball, the best Etter apple I’ve tasted yet.
Golden Russet. Today’s apple is much more like GR is supposed to be. Nice!

1 Like

Goldrush apples! I planted the tree 3 years ago and just started eating the fruits! I am soooo pleased with it! The fruits are almost all bugfree, as opposed to my Liberty’s fruits… !

Squirrels often taste the fruits… :frowning:

8 Likes

Had a couple unknown store bought jujubes (Li I think), some Mexican mangos, Ambrosia apples, bananas, and from my urban orchard I enjoyed my last fresh strawberries, blackberries and blueberries (which dried on the bush like raisins), as well as a few gojiberries and a calamansi from my garden. Later I’ll probably harvest some Chojuro Asian pear and a Fuji apple to share with my kids.

Here is the inside of Goldrush. Why no bug? I’m guessing the red color of Liberty’s apples attracted all the bugs and they left the yellow GR alone :thinking:

5 Likes

Jessica,
I’m surprised your GR ripened already. I was told that in my area, it will be in late Oct for the fruit to ripen. I’m in 6 a.

I can’t tell how dark those seeds actually were.

Mamuang: I was told about the same (late oct). But I couldn’t help myself and I want to beat the squirrels to them! They are delicious right now! If they become any better, they are gonna be incredible.

I used to like those small animals. Now, I dislike squirrels tremendously. I don’t even like birds anymore!!

I have 7 GR for the first time on my 3 rd year tree. I count them everyday :slight_smile:

4 Likes

bought nice size jujubee at Hmart for 0.88 per pound

3 Likes

Park jujubes

Sherwood jujubes, Li jujubes, Shanxi Li jujubes, Mu jujubes, Sugar Cane jujubes, China Yellow jujubes, Barhi dates, Gravenstein apple.

4 Likes

Mirabelle plum jam on croissants. Oh yum!

1 Like

Yellow strawberry guavas. Still a bit under-ripe, but good.

September honey nectarines, 30 plus brix and very good! These are the sweetest fruit I grow, very different and sweet end to the yellow nectarine season. Highly recommended if you like low acid fruits!

13 Likes

I had a Matsumoto today, no seeds this year! It was nearly all red and soft like a plum. Best Matsumoto I’ve had so far.

10 Likes

I’d love to taste a nectarine like that someday. Those look reasonably firm still (not mush) like some of the ultra-high brix fruit some people show. I’d give up a few brix to be able to cut with semi-sharp knife.

2 Likes