What fruits did you eat today?

Chocolate persimmon! Yum, it has a very unique flavor. It was picked orange and firm. It was counter ripened until soft and red.

8 Likes

It looks sooo dilicious!!

Rome apple. Purchased at a nearby farmers market today.
100_3917 text and ruler

2 Likes

How big are those feijoa? Is that a cereal bowl or a punch bowl?

So the feijoa varieties pictures ripen in a similar time frame? Where does one get Marion?

The bowl is 8.5" diameter at the top. Feijoa fruits are from 1.5" long (medium-sized ones) to 2.5" long (larger ones). Larger Marion fruits are close to 3" long and about 1.5" in diameter. Fruit size varies between varieties and even between fruits on the same bush (unless thinned).

For me, Nikita ripens the first (this year, first fruit was Oct 10), while the rest of the varieties started ripening between Oct 18 and Oct 27. However, the harvest lasts several weeks (up to a month), so ripening windows for different varieties overlap. This year, feijoa harvest is about two weeks earlier than last year (probably because this Fall was very warm).

I got mine (along with several other varieties) from Patrick Schafer, it was discussed a few times before:

1 Like

Two apples from countertop storage, I forgot they were there.:slight_smile:
Muscat de Venus. I was not prepared for how good this apple had become. Really a WOW! Very reminiscent of grapes, a nice crunch and texture, no shriveling, good balance, the best Etter apple I have tasted. MdV was far better than Wickson w/o all the skin and rot issues Wickson presented me this year.
Chieftain. Besides being a good storage apple (in the fridge), I eats well outta hand too. 3-4 weeks of counter storage has left a slight mealiness but the refrigerated apples were great. The flesh chunks out in large pieces when you bite it, sweet, juicy and crunchy. Sauces and bakes w/o loosing shape, no additional sugar. Cummings almost gushes about it and so will I. Very nice apple.

4 Likes

Cool, thats the first positive report I have seen on that apple. I had it but it died, maybe its worth trying again some day. Wickson I got rid of several years ago after all the cracking and rot problems.

A few very ripe Wonderful pomegranates… I had a low opinion about this variety, based on my experience with store bought fruit. However, some of the pomegranate trees I bought a few years ago were mislabeled and I got a Wonderful instead of an Eversweet. If you leave the fruits on the tree long enough they become very dark red with a rugged, cracked skin and a dry crown. A fully ripe Wonderful pomegranate is a completely different story than what you know from a supermarket fruit. Mine got to 20-21 Brix (normal Brix for ripe pomegranates is considered to be 15-17). I’m not sure whether such high Brix can be achieved every year, as this summer was very hot and the fall was very warm and sunny until a couple days ago. Anyway, at this level of sugar, Wonderful pomegranates have very plump arils that taste excellent, with a very rich sweet-tart flavor and tons of juice. Highly recommended if you live in a climate with long hot summers.

14 Likes

Very nice. I’ve never tasted an actual pom. What do they taste like? And do you eat the whole thing, or just the seeds and juice?

I’m pretty sure you know this Bob, but Wal-mart and Kroger both usually have Wonderful (the actual name) Pomegranates if you want to try one. I like the taste pretty well but am not a big fan of the way you have to eat them…the seed to fruit ratio is among the lowest of any fruit I know, and you sort of have to take a mouth full of seeds and somewhat chew on them to get the small amount of fruit, then spit the seeds back out. Some say they eat the seeds but I sure can’t! Anyway, just wanted to make sure you know that Poms are much more readily available in our neck of the woods than many of the fruits we talk about on here. You should at least give them a try. Something different

1 Like

I love the flavor of pomegranate. I just eat the seeds and enjoy the burst of juice that comes along with it. I don’t spit them out. I also don’t find them intolerable. Yes a bit odd but not spit worthy. Haha.

For me am example of an intolerable seed that many people eat is guava. They are terrible. The fruit smells incredible but eats like a bucket of bolts.

5 Likes

That is good info. I planted three of the Wonderful this year. The only ones I have tried out was from Publix and they were as you described and in my opinion just average. Thanks for sharing.

This is Pink pearl apple from the local grocery store. I was really surprised to find it there.

The apple tasted similar to Granny Smith or Antonovka sweet with a lot of sourness, which was not bad. I did not like the texture which was too rough.

5 Likes

I like the pink green color,so pretty

1 Like

It looks very much like Granny Smith with light pink blush. It is surprising to find pink flesh inside.

I like the taste of Granny Smith,and it makes perfect apple pie

You eat the arils, not the rind. Cleaning arils from the fruit is a bit of a chore. The method I use is similar to these: Pomegranate Pomegranate: best opening technique - YouTube, Best way to remove seeds from a pomegranate - YouTube. After doing it several times, it becomes pretty efficient. I clean arils from a couple of fruits into a bowl and then eat them with the spoon. For me, getting a spoonful of arils is a better way to experience the taste than eating arils one by one.

Wonderful has medium-soft seeds, you can either eat them or spit out. Some varieties have very soft seeds, you can eat the arils without even noticing seeds are there.

2 Likes

Tried my first gooseberries. Purchased from whole foods. I thought they were pretty good. Not great but certainly edible. Nice texture and citrusy taste. Daughter didn’t like them but my 2 year old boy helped me mow through the pack. He’s a fan. Doubt I would consider growing them as they aren’t as good as blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.

1 Like

Collected almost all of my Pakistan mulberry leaves to make some tea.

It tastes good, flavor is peppermint like and it smells like hay :smiley: