What fruits did you eat today?

Those peaches look delicious, @BobC. Sounds like your trees just took off after planting. I hope mine will get in gear, but like I said, they’ve only been in the ground for only 4 months. So, like the old master says, “patience, grasshopper!”

My apple trees do seem to be doing better after planting, but I headed those off at about 40", so I guess they got a head start on the peach trees. And my pear trees seem to be doing very well also.

This is for @Lucky_P- I should also mention something about the 8 pecan trees we planted on Easter. It appears that a couple of them have gone to tree heaven as they have no sprouts on them, and fail the “scratch test” by showing no green under the bark. I don’t know what happened to them, as the other trees have some degree of buds and/or sprigs of leaves. We did have a couple of freezes after they were planted, but nothing severe. But, it was quite wet for April and May, so that prob didn’t help. It’s odd that both of them were Oconee varieties. So, I’ll need to find some other Type 1 variety to replace them next year. Plus, we also need to see how the other 6 fare this coming winter.

I put nets on the smaller trees and pans where I can… NO… they really don’t work… unless it is windy… Bees don’t mind them… Crows laugh at them… Just makes me feel like I’m trying to win…:grin:

1 Like

So my seedling plum that i swore was from a store bought plum looks an awfully lot like Superior, but doesn’t taste like one (yet)…i picked one last night and it wasn’t ripe…it was softening some, but needs a few more weeks i think. The bottom (red) part was very tasty, but the rest was not there… It is not freestone. The seed was very flat. I have 5 more left…wish me luck.

Satsuma and Splash… I think i liked Splash more but that is because i’ve ate a lot of Satsuma so far and i’m sick of them Splash is becoming a favorite of mine. Very pretty, easy to grow, holds well, no rot, sets fruit.

5 Likes

Freezer time and stealing some bites.

5 Likes

Bob what variety? How do you use them then? I froze a bunch of apricots…i used fruit fresh on them to prevent browning…we’ll see…have no idea what i can do with them this winter.

Cresthaven and Georgia Bell, fruit fresh and freeze. Also, will make pie feeling and mix and freeze.

1 Like

Today I bought a bag of Flavor Granade pluots from SAMs club. That’s my first time eating a Flavor Granade and they were really tasty. Awesome texture. 20 Brix. Glad I grafted several this spring. Really enjoying how SAMs is stocking a lot of great fruit and have it identifiable. I’ve gotten a lot of really good stone fruit there this year which is challenging. My two favorite were flavor supreme and the verry cherry. But FG is really good too. Hopefully they have flavor king as well.

1 Like

I never saw Flavor Supreme at mine…they had grenade a few weeks back but now all they have are some red plums and some tropical sunrise (bleh)… I hope they can get Flavor King in at some point. I’ve only found FK once and that was at the coop health food store…right now all they have is emerald drop (or so i think).

I ate some Nectaplums today.I picked a couple that weren’t totally ripe because ants were eating holes in the ends(how do they even do this?).They were pretty good anyway.
I then covered the remaining fruit with nylon footies.Maybe that will slow them down at least.It looks like it makes it harder for them to move around between the fruit and the sock,in the last photo. Brady

4 Likes

I know I talked about this yesterday but I have to reiterate how damn good these flavor grenade pluots are. I can’t imagine a fruit with a better texture than what I’ve been eating the last 2 days. They are super firm and explosive when you bite into them. Full of juice with a really nice flavor. I’ve seen Scott describe them a kiddie sweet but I would not say that at all with the ones I’ve been eating.

When I was singing the praises of Flavor Supreme a month ago I’ll give it the edge in Flavor. It was just really complex. I’ll give texture to flavor grenade. Although the FS I ate had wonderful mouth feel, these FG are perfect in texture. So crunchy and juicy it’s insane.

6 Likes

I had a few FG from Publixs last year and I found out what the rave was all about for these inter-specifics. Has anyone successfully grafted these to Japanese plums?

1 Like

I picked my Zestar! today. My wife and I had one for supper and it was good.The one we had some watercore and was on the softer side. So I decided to pull the trigger on them. Total yield of about 5 lbs with the ones I picked a week too early last weekend. Ok for a 3 year old tree on M7. I think I lost about 2/3 of the flowers to that late spring freeze.

Only one was damaged by bugs and it was an ear wig that got through the nylonsock type bags. A sucess!

3 Likes

Bill I grafted FG to Methley plum and Emerald Beaut this spring. All grafts are looking very good. I also grafted a lot of FS this spring. Time will tell.

2 Likes

Try not to make it too public.FG is still patented. Brady

2 Likes

I ate one tonite off my tree (sorry no pic)…it was very dark, very juicy and very sweet. I have about 5 left (Not many this year)…it is a good fruit. GOod sized too.

Well…this is the one i ate tonite that i took a pic of last night…

4 Likes

The pluots seem to be pretty good when it comes to grafting. I’ve had peach growing on pluot now all summer and its grown just fine. Pluot on apricot works fine too. I have a lot of FS grafted now since that is one of my favs. I think they are pretty much compatible with japanese plum, apricot, hybrid plums, wild plums, peaches/nectarines …

3 Likes

I did a tour of all the local orchards today and came home with some goodies:

Harvest Queen pears (smaller and more acidulous than last year, but still fabulous):

Sanchez apples (these are really good, but I cannot find anything about them in the literature). Edit Update: I am beginning to think that these “Sanchez” apples are actually “Sansa” apples, and the local farmer just got the name mixed up. It certainly manifests itself just as Sansa is described to be. This is a great apple:

Harmony peaches:

9 Likes

After eating several of them - I must again conclude - these Harvest Queen pears are like candy! They are truly fantastic. Even my wife said, “This pear is the best.” She is not easily impressed!

2 Likes

I checked the fruit on a Fantasia Nectarine and this first one pushed in some,with fingertip pressure and was the only piece tested.Good tasting.
Usually they ripen a little later in August for me.I put socks on them fairly early and this one and probably others,have no insect damage. Brady

6 Likes

I thought I would be ahead of your season Brady, but my Fantasia are not ripe yet. I guess your longer season beats my hotter season for rate of development…