What fruits did you eat today?

I’ve got that same exact juice in my fridge. Notice the potassium, iron, and calcium content.

Here is another one that I like:
https://kingorchards.com/product-category/tart-cherry-juice-concentrate/
This is concentrate from the Montmorency variety. Pour a little into ice water and mix into a quenching juice-- like drinkin’ cherry pie!

1 Like

I finished all my Arkansas Black apples last week. After digging around in the freezer I found a small bag of muscadines that I had cut in half and removed the seeds. They were good but not quiet as good as fresh. The best ones were smaller and frozen whole.

I just finished eating my first goldrush from the fridge. Much better than when they went in but still plenty acid. The others will wait.

1 Like

Passionfruit
Navel Orange
Unknown Avocado (Fuerte maybe?)
Bears Lime

Passionfruit in the winter usually is hit or miss. I’ll have to wait a while for them to shrivel up and only a few will taste good. Everything else is excellent!

3 Likes

Starfruit and medjool dates. Liked the dates a lot!

My daughter and I have been taste-testing store bought apples. Today was Autumn Glory. She liked them, I’m still not sure if I liked them. Crunchy, sweet, aromatic in an unusual way, finish a bit spicy (16 brix). The other day we blind tested Pinata, Jazz and Jonagolds. The Jonagolds were our clear favorites for their citrusy acidity. Pinatas were pretty good in their sweet, aromatic way. The Jazz were (as is my typical experience with them) crunchy, sweet and flavorless. So forgettable, they’re forgotten before you swallow. Have I just gotten bad batches? Do apple-lovers love Jazz?

Of the 7 varieties I’ve eaten recently, Jazz was the only variety I wouldn’t buy again.

I think Jazz is forgettable.

This a special winter treat. I found two more bags of frozen Black Beauty muscadine and a bag of Southern home. It was hard to think about how good these would be while cutting them in half and removing the two seeds. Pop them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds and they taste like a fruit ice cream with a little chew factor added in.

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying Ruby Frosts recently. They’re dense and crunchy and well balanced. They’ve got a nice raspberry/cranberry flavor going on. Just for fun, I planted out about a dozen Ruby Frost seeds to see what happens.

2 Likes

More Ruby Frost apples - pretty nice when you get one that has ripened properly, and some tropical jujubes.

1 Like

And a Snapdragon apple. It started off pretty well but has an odd aftertaste.

1 Like

I have to admit that I really like Jazz-
both the music and the apple. It is one of the most flavorful apples you can buy from a store. Also nearly always crisp, even in winter. One of the few I will actually buy, because I still have so many in storage. Many others are sweet and bland. Good for some people but not for me.

I do think it’s nice how we can share experiences and find which fruit we are excited about-or not so much!
JOhn S
PDX OR

I am almost never impressed with store bought fruit jams or jellies, but this “Braswell’s Fig Preserves” are out of this world and were a real treat at breakfast. I think a lot of it has to do with the ingredients, which is almost exactly what I’d use myself. Just figs, real cane sugar (not corn syrup or the 1000 other forms of sweeteners used these days), pectin, and some lemon juice/citric acid. And they didn’t skimp on the figs…you can tell by the taste and the large amount of actual fig fruit pieces. Trust me, if you see this in your local market- try it. You will be pleased!

4 Likes

Canned lychees , canned mandarin oranges, 2 bananas.

1 Like

I brought home some fruit from Sprout’s, which is a gourmet food market in the vein of Whole Foods, without the snootiness. I picked up some Texas Ruby Red grapefruit, mangoes, pears, peaches and nectarines. Today we wanted to try the peaches, which along with the nects, were from Chile, I think. Well, both of those stone fruits were absolutely awful. Hardly any sweetness or tanginess, the fruit even looked kind of brown and not yellow. It was a underwhelming experience. Don’t know which varieties they were, not that that matters.

The D’Anjou pears were also from SA, but were pretty good, wish I’d bought more of those. Haven’t tried the mangoes or grapefruit. That is, my wife hasn’t had any GF, I don’t care for them much. Too much acid, not enough sweet, no thanks.

On the drive back home yesterday, we tried some banana chips, those were very good, almost addicting.

Time to raid the winter apple bin, think there oughta be some Goldrush, Fuji and Pink Lady’s in there…

One of my favorite snacks in the world is cottage cheese and fruit- especially peaches. Its also one of the only situations in life where canned fruit (in “heavy syrup” of course!) works about as well as fresh fruit for me. Yesterday at the grocery store I noticed Del Monte had a new choice in the canned peach section - it was FREESTONE peaches. I thought pretty much all canned peaches were cling. Anyway, those things were- as far as commercial, canned peaches go- really, really good. I could definately tell a fairly big difference from regular clings - in taste AND texture. The taste was just more peachy and closer to home, and the texture was much softer and melting. Best store bought canned peaches I’ve ever had- give them a try: Del Monte Freestone peaches.

4 Likes

I enjoy that as well. What I like even better is cottage cheese with homegrown in-season tomatoes cut into large chunks. I hit it heavily with cracked black pepper and add a touch of sea salt. I got that habit from my mom and dad.

3 Likes

Hah, how funny, me, too!! I LOVE cottage cheese and fruit. Or cottage cheese and applesauce. For as long back as I have memories (age 2). Something I have almost every day, in fact. Usually my mid-morning snack. Put Del Monte Freestone Peaches on my grocery list.

Patty

Try fresh ‘frozen’ peaches in your supermarket freezer dept. Defrost first!