What happened to your old orchard?

I’ve left behind five home orchards. The one in California is probably still nice looking. I saw it once after about 8 years. Two places had pecan trees. The ones I planted in 1977 in Amarillo are big trees. The fruit trees are likely mostly gone.

But who cares. If they are that important why leave them?

Besides much of the fun is starting a new orchard. I’m replanting my greenhouse orchard now for about the fourth time.

And I may start another one at my buddy’s place in a partially underground greenhouse. Now that sounds like fun. Both the build and planning/planting.

17 Likes

Good question. Better ask an attorney I suppose, for I am not one.
It’d be like any agreement…if nobody enforces it eventually it becomes moot.

2 Likes

No, some of them are very expensive, I paid one over $350 for a tree peony. I don’t worry about them being digging up because people around here don’t know what to do with them. I don’t usually tell people the prices of my peonies, I don’t want to freak them out. Fruit trees are nothing to these peonies.

4 Likes

Thank you for that perspective :slight_smile:

Not me but if you guys are familiar with joereals’s 150 n 1 tree which i think ended up becoming 170 n 1 tree, it was also featured in the news. He sold the property and he told me the new owner immediately took it down.

Found it the link.

2 Likes

The new owners of my past house cut down all my fruit trees I had planted and the fruit trees that were their prior to me buying it. The one fruit tree was about 30 feet tall, a standard pear tree.
As a side note at my current house my next door neighbor moved last August. He sold his house to a company and they flipped it. That company took out every fruit tree,grape vine, gooseberry bush, current bush, and garden area he had. Stripped everything down to the ground. He had been there since 1999 and brought fruit plants from all over the country to put at his house. It was a shame to see them bullboze them all down. He had about 20 full size apple and pear trees and 60 grape vines on trellises.

8 Likes

I love this frame of mind. I could not agree with you more.

4 Likes

Wish we had a sad button sometimes. Felt wrong pressing :heart:.

4 Likes

I don’t know about that. My 16 trees and 40 or so bushes looks like an orchard to me.

7 Likes

My folks put a conservation easement on a chunk of ground they wanted to ensure would never be developed. They didn’t want the custodian to be the WI DNR or any other state agency. They wanted the ground (mainly a large glacial drumlin) to be a school forest, but they didn’t want the school to be able to sell it or build a school on it someday…so they added another level of custodianship with the township. The idea was that between the two the goals of the easement would be “guaranteed” When all was said and done, they spent around $20K in legal and surveyor fees (in the 90s).

The school district and township continue to argue about who has control over what. Both have exceeded the roles my parents had intended. The property hasn’t been “developed” but it also certainly hasn’t been maintained in it’s natural state.

No good deed goes unpunished.

8 Likes

I didn’t intend to advocate for restrictions; just that it is a possibility.
I like my county’s lack of zoning just fine.
I can live having roosters or a back yard mechanic next door.

5 Likes

Mine is too, more like a jungle, 80 fruit trees, 160 roses, 100 peonies, lol.

5 Likes

i too like my plantings to look wild but not unruly. why i plant in rows. i plant in layers from the trees to groundcovers. i use shade tolerant varieties on the north side of the rows to provide cover there. hoping to have everything filled in in a few more years. im planning to live out my life on this property, then likely my kids/ grandkids will continue to keep it going. they both love to grow stuff. my sons looking for a small farm or some land to buy when he moves back in a few years.

5 Likes

Are you selling them? I am so tired of buying almost dead roots - doesn’t matter online or in store. Only good way to buy peonies is to buy a well growing pot, but that is too expensive. If you dividing this spring and want to sell some - I am first in line)

3 Likes

It is heartbreaking reading through this thread.

I hope all the fruit tree removers experience an era of mass starvation and then learn to value such things. I think it is far less common in europe at least outside major cities, for people to remove fruit trees. I often see people proud of old fruit trees.

I would add the fruit trees to the property sale for starters so the buyer understand there is value to them or just so i have enough to plant 10x what may be killed on the new land.

4 Likes

That sounds amazing! Like a piece of paradise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, I’m not selling anything. I have good luck with Gilbert & Wild, they send huge and cheap roots. But I buy most of my roots from Alderman and Solaris.

3 Likes

Checked Alderman and Solaris. Never realized that a root of peony could cost $600 :money_mouth_face:

4 Likes

That’s harsh. I hope that never comes to pass and that they lead happy and productive lives.

2 Likes

I agree. I heard the house plant market was high with certain plants but it appears peony are up there too. Here I thought fruit trees were expensive any more.

3 Likes