What is everyone eating from their orchard today?

The green fig looks like Battaglia/Paradiso/Strawberry Verte. The first two have larger fruit. SV has very rich taste. Not as much experience with B or P but so far taste similar to SV.

1 Like

That’s what I was going to say, Fruitnut - Strawberry Verte which is really delicious.

I have a Strawberry Verte, actually obtained from you last year, Steve :slight_smile: It had no breba to compare, but the leaves are very different (both only 2nd year plants, granted, but still leaves not really similar). Both have about 10-12 main crop to compare, probably in another month. I was wondering about Paradiso Bronze as a possibility though. May never know for sure, but whatever the name - if the main crop is anything like this breba in taste it is a real keeper.

I think my Satsuma plums will be ripe soon. They are still very firm and pretty tart (like a grocery store plum), but they are already 15 brix and are looking almost ripe. This is the first time I’ve gotten any, so I’m not sure when they reach optimal ripeness. The tree has quite a few, so I’m hoping that at least some can make it past the animals.

1 Like

Bob, Satsuma I find much better a lot later than that. My sign is the bloom starts to come off the bottom tips, making the bottoms look really dark. The flesh should be all red for a few weeks before picking.

1 Like

I caught an opossum overnight (trying to catch rabbits)…so the wife is going to cook that up for dinner :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My TangOS are just about there…Saturn all got hit by plum curculio… I’ve noticed that PC hit donut peaches way more then they hit regular peaches.

I was just outside so grabbed a Satsuma and opened it up… see picture. Right now mine are about 1/3-1/2 ripened and I am ahead of you by a week or so I would guess.

Also in this picture is a Lavinia plum. These guys have a really unique flavor, its a bit of papaya-like taste. I love it, but it might not be for everyone. They are also very sweet.

The apple is a Williams Pride, I wanted to show the watercore I usually get in them. The taste is still very good.

The cracked plum in back is a Superior, they cracked pretty badly this year.

4 Likes

Wow…those are some seriously dark plums… I had a ton of flowers but not one Satsuma set a fruit. Pollination issue…i think they bloomed too early …

Lavina has grown nicely for me after i budded them last year… i should hopefully see some flowers next spring.

Not my orchard but picked this beauty from a mystery apple tree at my Aunts house tonight. It’s a small tart green apple that’s not quite mature. Likely some type of crab but could possibly be something else. No blush on any of the apples and the tree was loaded. Might go grab some scions and bud this one on to an existing tree. Tree is about 10 years old and looks very healthy. No signs of any diseases.

My vigorously growing Emerald Beaut Plum gave only two plums this year which promptly fell off. This after I hand pollinated like crazy. Maybe, we didn’t get enough chill hours. Or so I thought.

This morning I peek out of my window and see a tennis ball lying in my orchard. Upon closer inspection, it’s an Emerald Beaut!

There were ants and a worm where the fruit had bruised. I cleaned up the fruit and sliced off the affected parts.

What great flavor! I could keep this fruit on the counter for a week and it would get even sweeter! And the fruit fell off over a month too early too.

2 Likes

It sounds as if the tree is too young to hold viable fruit. Sure is a good looking plum, though!

Thanks Scott. It’s good to see a pic of what I should be targeting. I must be at least a week behind you if not more. Here is a pic of my Superior and Satsuma trees from a few minutes ago.

The Superior isn’t coloring up at all yet, let alone close to ripe. Last year it was quite tart (~13 brix) on 8/7 and ripe (16-18 brix) on 8/14, at which point animals ate 17 of 20 fruit on the tree. Hopefully I didn’t under-thin too badly this year- it looks to be struggling under the weight.

Superior on left and Satsuma on right (bucket is inside the fence to give squirrels a sunflower seed/bath alternative):

This is my first Ayers (Sugar Pears) pears for 2015. Pretty sweet right off the tree. I’m going to let them stay on the counter and see if they live up to there nickname Sugar pear. Bill

4 Likes

Apricots today

Both are very sweet. Moongold with a stronger traditional apricot flavor. Puget Gold a little more tart and had I been blindfolded I might have guessed that it was a green plum rather than apricot .

Mike

2 Likes

Those look luscious.
If I ever get an apricot tree to grow and have decent harvests of traditional tasting cots, I will be a very happy and satisfied grower.

Your sign says Moongold and the paragraph says Moonpark. I’m not misunderstanding that it’s the same cot you’re talking about, am I?

Ooops!

That was a typo. I fixed it.

Thanx
Mike

Asian pears about ready to be pick.

Tony

6 Likes

Tonyn

How much/close did you thin these?

Mike

I tried to leave one or two per cluster.

Tony

Tony you are in Asian Pear heaven. How good is that? They are all beautifully grown and full. I am sure the taste is the best! Beautiful!