What is [still] producing in your fall garden?

I am going to try to get syrup from the canes and I will use the seeds as popcorn. You can use the seeds like Amaranth or quinone too…this is my first try so it should be interesting!

3 Likes

did you find that amaranth is easy to cultivate, dutch?

Tomatoes and herbs. Kiwi Gold raspberries.

1 Like

Yeah!

1 Like

Only trouble I’ve had was it rained 3 straight days after I planted and about half washed away or rotted. Those that took have been quite Hardy . I have had to use Spinosad on them for those bugs with the two claw looking things. They have been in my sunflowers too. I don’t know what they are called but Spinosad controls them for the most part. I direct sowed them .

1 Like

‘early girl’ tomatoes below, scorched the entire summer and just now bouncing back, thanks to cooler weather

below, mellow mallows: okra and egyptian spinach. Sweet pods and sweet greens! And of course, our jujubes still bearing fruits :slight_smile:

1 Like

Earwigs?

I pulled the tomatoes. They were still producing, but with the short days the flavor wasn’t all there anymore. And people were getting tired of them

I looked it up and I don’t think they are earwigs. They do fly quite well. I think I can get a picture. They aren’t particularly skittish.

1 Like

Here the little nasties are.

2 Likes

seems like you have leaf-footed buggies. They are obnoxious, i agree.

2 Likes

Not much here. My Early Girl tomatoes and sauce tomatoes are done, but I have a couple of volunteer tomato plants that are producing a little bit. The long beans held up better than any of my other beans but they’re just about finished. The eggplant is going strong, the bell peppers & jalepenos are still doing OK, and the parsley is still producing. I still have a few carrots out there and some Broccoli Rabe, and might plant more of that yet. The bitter gourd is doing tremendously well. Nothing bothers that plant at all, except the frost.

Harnful? Would that be the same as a leafhopper? Sorry, I just don’t know.

yes, harmful, most especially to cucurbits(squash, melons,etc). They attack pretty much anything, and where am at, it is the only insect i know which attack pomegranates, and sometimes jujubes. Leafhoppers are not the same critters, but are also sapsuckers which can transmit diseases.

1 Like

A type of stinkbug

bella bell peppers, just now bouncing back from our torrid summer… imo, peppers deserve more square footage than tomatoes in vegas, since tomatoes are like a buck for 3 lbs, and peppers are richer in nutrients

mexican green onions --my favorite perennial/year-round edible ornamental, apart from variegated calamondins, Cold weather slows down growth, but the spears don’t get mushy, even in sub-freezing temps

standard calamondin with both fruits and flowers. Mondins(both standard and blonde) are a must-have in vegas. They don’t grow as fast as lime and lemons, but what little stems they grow over the summer, they keep over the winter. Limes/lemons/oranges may grow two feet in one growing season, but often die back. Mondins take one step forward in summer and don’t step back in winter, whereas many others take 5 steps forward, then 6 steps back :thinking:

tree collard, its greens should be less bitter now due to cool weather

this blonde mondin does not have nutritional deficiencies, it is inherently variegated (aka peters calamondin). Slower-growing than standard mondin, but more cold-hardy

2 Likes

The variegated is really pretty. I remember them being very bitter. No?

the tiger-appearance does make them look inedible/bitter, but they actually have the same mild characteristics of standard calamondins. Just like standard mondins, they are at their best when the rind already feels thin to touch, being way less sour than a lime, and adding a unique diversion to citrus zests.

'mondin flowers are as fragrant as orange blossoms, plus the relatively tiny foliage/dense branching/non-leggy growth and tolerance to shade make them the best candidate among citrus to grow indoors.

Thanks Jujubemulberry! I had one plant that lived in a south facing window in Maine for three years. I would make marmalade from them. It was delicious. I bet they are better in a margarita!

Back in the main Philippine pirate era, Calamansi was a requisite for rum drinks :slight_smile: