What is [still] producing in your fall garden?

seems like you have leaf-footed buggies. They are obnoxious, i agree.

2 Likes

Not much here. My Early Girl tomatoes and sauce tomatoes are done, but I have a couple of volunteer tomato plants that are producing a little bit. The long beans held up better than any of my other beans but they’re just about finished. The eggplant is going strong, the bell peppers & jalepenos are still doing OK, and the parsley is still producing. I still have a few carrots out there and some Broccoli Rabe, and might plant more of that yet. The bitter gourd is doing tremendously well. Nothing bothers that plant at all, except the frost.

Harnful? Would that be the same as a leafhopper? Sorry, I just don’t know.

yes, harmful, most especially to cucurbits(squash, melons,etc). They attack pretty much anything, and where am at, it is the only insect i know which attack pomegranates, and sometimes jujubes. Leafhoppers are not the same critters, but are also sapsuckers which can transmit diseases.

1 Like

A type of stinkbug

bella bell peppers, just now bouncing back from our torrid summer… imo, peppers deserve more square footage than tomatoes in vegas, since tomatoes are like a buck for 3 lbs, and peppers are richer in nutrients

mexican green onions --my favorite perennial/year-round edible ornamental, apart from variegated calamondins, Cold weather slows down growth, but the spears don’t get mushy, even in sub-freezing temps

standard calamondin with both fruits and flowers. Mondins(both standard and blonde) are a must-have in vegas. They don’t grow as fast as lime and lemons, but what little stems they grow over the summer, they keep over the winter. Limes/lemons/oranges may grow two feet in one growing season, but often die back. Mondins take one step forward in summer and don’t step back in winter, whereas many others take 5 steps forward, then 6 steps back :thinking:

tree collard, its greens should be less bitter now due to cool weather

this blonde mondin does not have nutritional deficiencies, it is inherently variegated (aka peters calamondin). Slower-growing than standard mondin, but more cold-hardy

2 Likes

The variegated is really pretty. I remember them being very bitter. No?

the tiger-appearance does make them look inedible/bitter, but they actually have the same mild characteristics of standard calamondins. Just like standard mondins, they are at their best when the rind already feels thin to touch, being way less sour than a lime, and adding a unique diversion to citrus zests.

'mondin flowers are as fragrant as orange blossoms, plus the relatively tiny foliage/dense branching/non-leggy growth and tolerance to shade make them the best candidate among citrus to grow indoors.

Thanks Jujubemulberry! I had one plant that lived in a south facing window in Maine for three years. I would make marmalade from them. It was delicious. I bet they are better in a margarita!

Back in the main Philippine pirate era, Calamansi was a requisite for rum drinks :slight_smile:

you’re welcome :slightly_smiling_face:
so you had a standard 'mondin in Maine? Curious where you got it from. Was it grafted or air-layered? Mondins are still not as mainstream, but should be!
if you want to grow them again can send you seeds, since they breed true. At least the standard, as haven’t been lucky germinating any of blondie’s seeds.

you betcha! and the exotic tiger-stripes sure add some pizzazz :wink:

1 Like

All that’s still alive in our garden are collards, kohlrabi, kale, and a forage radish (daikon) cover crop. Multiple nights in the 20s took care of everything else. I’m hoping the collards are even better after those cold nights though

1 Like

They were delicious. There was a greenhouse in Falmouth Forside, Maine that had a few exotics that were quite old and they used them as stock. Might would turn a bright orange and we all loved them. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Maybe in your locale, but in California from Sacramento on down and online they are widely available.

Picked the last of the toms that are colored enough to ripen indoors, and laid the vines with the others on the ground, still rooted; a mild frost will not kill them now, and I may get another half dozen or so to ripen. Surprised to find I still had enough green beans to make a decent mess, so we had those tonight. My kale will carry on a few weeks, but won’t grow much; I have to scrape the aphid debris from the leaves! The lettuce is happy enough, not really growing but not dead, and it’s easier to leave it on the garden, alive, than to cut it and try to keep it in the fridge.

Got my garlic in two days ago, and then it rained on it. I love it when things work out!

3 Likes

you got that right, and it is used as an ‘app’ for all manner of cuisine and beverage. From calamansi-ade, to noodle zests , marmalades, sour broths, even as soy sauce mix(crazy as that sounds!)

gardened there for almost two decades, so was extremely delighted to learn it grows in vegas with no protection whatsoever(both summer and winter). As my list goes: aloe vera, garlic, onions, mondins, and opuntias are the five evergreen perennial edibles i can actually grow in vegas outdoors with no protection, just as i did in the isles. Moringa and lemongrass can survive our winters, but they lose their leaves/dieback to the ground and have to wait for them to resprout in late spring…

that is nice to know. I got ours from home depot, and they were all shipped from cali. The blonde mondin was supposedly developed in so cal, riverside i think

In other locales, it is sometimes labelled Filipino Lime and (as @mrsg47 points out): Bitter Lime.

It’s not crazy at all. Toyomansi is awesome! It makes a good Filipino adobo. The calamansi-ade is just called Calamansi juice with Filipinos. We can’t get fresh calamansi here, but this type of concentrate works out well for us. It’s one of my son’s favorite drinks, but it’s not exactly the healthiest thing so it has to be limited. My wife’s a Filipino, I’m just a white guy who loves their food.

1 Like

it can be bitter if using immature, thick skinned fruits, but there’s no bitterness at all with mature paper-thin rinded ones.
my guess is that people slice their mondins at the central axis, which would cut through seeds-- and that can impart some bitterness too, even if fruits are fully mature. Mondins have to be sliced near the poles cross-wise(either at the base or near the peduncle) to avoid cutting through seeds. Then squeeze over the tines of a fork to catch the seeds.

i actually love filipino cuisine too-- was merely speaking for the american audience due to the posible shock factor, lol! And i agree, they tend to put too much sugar in those calamansi concentrates, and the acidity inherent to citrus can cut through dental enamel. I like calamansi juice too, but they are best used as flavoring, not as juice to drink everyday.

2 Likes

That is right!

1 Like