What is the best walk behind mower?

Well my current walk behind mower has seen better days and the repairs are becoming too frequent. Though a lawnmower that gets used as much as mine does and 19 years later I cant complain! I am looking for a self propelled unit that is reliable! When I pull the rope I want it to start. Lets here the good and bad experiences. Especially those that have purchased in the last 2-3 years as Lord knows the quality seems to come and go with some brands. Thanks

Honda is easy to start. I tried a mower from another maker and couldn’t make it start, returned it the same day and bought Honda instead. My main problem is that the self-propelling mode stopped working after a couple months of use. I’m not sure what’s the problem with it, maybe somebody have an idea.

1 Like

Most pro landscapers use Toro Super Recyclers

1 Like

I am also a honda fan. I think Honda makes the best small engines in the business. I have a Honda mower, snowblower, generator and probably some other stuff I can’t think off.
My mower is 15 years old and still starts on the first pull. I don’t even really take care of it. I have probably changed the oil maybe 3 times total.

1 Like

We have a Bolens push mower that we bought 7 years ago when we bought the house thinking it’ll last couple of years, just enough for us to be in a position to upgrade to a riding mower. It lasted much more than 2 years. We are still waiting for it to quit on us so we don’t feel bad replacing a fully functioning mower. Poor hubby still pushing it around :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What is the best walk behind mower?

Glysophate in a backpack sprayer. :sunglasses:

1 Like

How big, when I think of a walk behind I’m thinking 48-72" commercial mowers. Sold them for years, Exmark and Scag are the best with Kawasaki V-Twins up to 27hp. Those are walk behinds!

1 Like

Consider Chuck Grassley’s invention:

2 Likes

I think this Honda mower is what we have. We’ve had it about 4 years and have used it a good amount in that time. Starts reliably, usually on the first pull, and isn’t hard for me to pull. It does a pretty good job mulching leaves too. My favorite thing about it is how easy the self-propel is to control – smooth and convenient. Only con I can think of is that it’s heavy when not self-propelled and you’re pulling it backward for some maneuvering. But that’s most self-propelled mowers.

Hey he could by my current mower, it’s a JD silver walk behind like that mower on the left and then he would match and look much classier!:grinning:

My next “yard” will be much smaller, and the rest I will mow with the tractor! It was nice to have a big yard when the kids were young, plenty of room for playing catch and a little football game now and then. Now it just requires upkeep to keep it looking “pretty” by city folk standards.

2 Likes

can’t beat anything Honda that’s what a lot of the commercial guys use down here…

I have an old Troybilt that I bought when we moved into our house in 2005…We’ve got a decent sized yard and I also have a Murray riding tractor. Anyway, as much as I hate the Troybilt, it’s got one of the worst self-propelled systems on the planet, I can’t kill it…It goes in the shed at the end of the season and every year when I get it back out, the darn thing starts with one pull every time.

I’m a honda fan too. I have a toro self propelled with a honda engine for a walk behind. My son had a go cart with a honda engine. I’ve owned a chipper with a honda engine. I have a Honda generator. Honda has made some of the best small engines for a long time. They start when you want them to.

I sold my lawn mower years ago. When you retire, you pay somebody else
to cut your grass. I’d rather take a nap.

3 Likes