What is this crusty brown stuff?

i got some scionwood from someone… what is this brown stuff on it?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Those look like some kind of insect egg. I’d try to scrape those off if you can. What part of the country did they come from? It doesn’t quite look like image searches for spotted lanternfly eggs, but I’d be worried about that.

Map of confirmed locations by county here:
https://nysipm.cornell.edu/environment/invasive-species-exotic-pests/spotted-lanternfly/spotted-lanternfly-ipm/introduction-native-range-and-current-range-us/

I’m thinking some type of Scale insect.
But I could be mistaken.

Scions come from somewhere else in California?

~----------------------------~

(My intuition
was working. :slight_smile: Sam).

Somebody needs to gently tell the fellow also that 3 and 4 year old wood with spurs isn’t what you want to graft with, unless there simply is no other choice of limbs to pick from.

yes from a friend in california. i’ve never seen this before. he lives about an hour from me.

1 Like

Hi Sam,
It could be insect deposits but I suspect your area has a damp climate conducive to lichen growth. Just to be sure I would soak them with a liquid copper solution which kills most fungus and the attempt to remove it with a soft toothbrush to avoid damage to the bark. My cherry trees here seem to attract a lot of lichen growth although I have not seen one similar to yours.
Dennis
Kent, Wa

Second thought is that it may be this:

Might be a type of scale insect.

1 Like

It looks like it could be lichen off of a shaded branch. If it’s from California it’s almost certainly not spotted lantern fly. I am in Westmoreland County Pennsylvania and the lantern flies are almost certainly in my county this year. A friend found them in White Oak Park which is on the border with Allegheny County. This makes me very sad. Anyway, As stated above You should try to treat it to be safe. You could also try the bleach solution soak posted on this thread Good system for preparing winter dormancy graft cuttings

1 Like

I looked at this yesterday and saw what looks like scale on the bottom left. That’s completely different from what’s going on above.

You know what that looks like above is work done from bees or termites. It’s probably neither but the closest thought I could come up with here in IL.

The stick is all flower buds anyway. I would absolutely tell your friend to have a county extension employee come look at his cherry tree. And you should burn that stick. I mean literally, burn it.

@Sam I agree with others the crusty stuff in your images is very concerning though tough to say for sure from the image, could be insect eggs. I hope you either show it to your dept of agriculture or university extension for identification (ideal) or burn it like Barkslip says. Others say spotted lanternfly isn’t in California, but who knows! The reality is it hasn’t been FOUND in California SO FAR. But it could also be something else unwanted. A google search for old, weathered spotted lanternfly egg masses looks similar enough to your image to be very concerningimage

i tossed them in the garbage can inside the ziplocks

1 Like

I wonder if your friend’s whole tree contains that.

1 Like

May be a good idea to either get a trained entomologist involved with you friends orchard, just in case it’s something that spreads rapidly. I see in Penslyvania they are struggling with pest imported from China. States with ports need to be very cautious.
I don’t think you should report your friend, but suggest to him that he get it evaluated.
Take care
Dennis

I would burn them.

Hello Sam,

My name is Kyle Beucke and I am the Primary State Entomologist for the California Department of Food and Agriculture. The county agricultural commissioner should be notified so that they can check this out and collect a sample just to be safe.

Thank you, and have a good weekend.

Kyle

2 Likes

It appears these are likely eggs of an Agalmatium species (Issidae).

Kyle