What is this on bare root blackberry?

Received my bare root berry order today one of the Osage had a bump in roots not sure if it’s crown gall or not.

That may be crown gall .

Looks like Crown Gall to me.
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/blackberries/blackberry-agrobacterium-diseases.htm

I would be contacting whoever you bought them from if I were you.

I would like to know who would sell you such a plant ?

bad news

I did send them an email with pictures. We’ll see what they say.

@Hillbillyhort it was from Indiana berry

1 Like

I think I introduced a gall problem to my orchard with a potted plum that grew a gall visible above the soil later. Now my almond has them :frowning: I’d never seen them before.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I can’t plant this, not worth taking the chance.

2 Likes

Good call with deciding not to chance it with that one and letting them know about it. I’ve only ever had good experiences with Indiana but I’m sure some things get past even the best nurseries given the volume of plants that they ship. Hopefully the rest of your roots are disease free and grow into healthy plants.

1 Like

My Kiowa blackberries got something that looked identical, and it killed them. Get rid of it.

2 Likes

Oh dang. I just planted some elderberry from Indiana Berry.

1 Like

Did you see anything wrong with the elderberries that you planted?

No, but I’ve never experienced crown gall. Here’sthe three Bob Gordons I put in

Those roots look good. Indiana berry has a good reputation I’ve received many healthy plants from them. They already credited me for the Osage I threw away

2 Likes

Hi, Jeese here
Interested to here more about Indiana Berry , I have on order for bunch of plants for this spring.
GeorgiaGent did they say what it was, was it crown gall?
Thanks for your time, Jesse/Wizzard

1 Like

They didn’t say. I actually made another order because I had more space on my trellis after planting. I asked them to send me another Osage no charge and they included it on the new order.

Always good to check Garden Watchdog before ordering from nurseries and add reviews yourself to help others. They have a good rep you will be fine. Since they are bare root easy to inspect and catch something like that. (BTW, I don’t know that it was gall, but it could have possibly been, not worth taking the chance.)

2 Likes