What is wrong with my sorrel?

Is this a fungus?

It looks like leafminers. The larvae tunnel into the leaves and do that type of damage. Look under the leaves for their eggs… small, white and elongated. You can remove all of the damaged leaves and destroy any eggs you find. Or you can spray with Pyganic. Leafminers also attack beets, Swiss chard and spinach.

3 Likes

@fieldsofgreen Thank you for your reply. I removed all leaves, healthy and damaged, and will apply Pyganic as soon as it arrives. I will make sorrel soup with the healthy leaves.

1 Like

@Vlad … Our Montana winters are cold and long. Sorrel is the first spring green to arrive and how welcomed it is! We use it in salads, stir-frys and wraps. But eating fresh from the plant on a barely-warm spring day is the best. Would you please share your recipe for sorrel soup :seedling::stew:!!!

@fieldsofgreen Here is the recipe:
Sorrel Soup

This is my mom’s recipe.

• 1 Lb. sorrel
  • 3 potatoes, boiled, diced
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 4 eggs, hard boiled, diced
  • ¾ Lb. ham, diced
  • Dill, fresh
  • 1 Pt. sour cream
  • 1 Bunch green onions

This soup is best if prepared the day before so that it is served nice and cold.

Boil 3 1/2 cups water with 1/8 Tsp. (or less) salt. Add sorrel and boil until sorrel is limp. Grind sorrel and water in food mill (fine). Chill. While it is chilling, prepare potatoes, eggs, ham and cucumbers. Add to sorrel.

Serve well chilled with dollop of sour cream and sprinkled with green onions and dill.

1 Like

That sounds delicious and different. I have all of those ingredients on hand too! I will be making soon. Thanks Vlad😊

@fieldsofgreen This soup is great to eat cold on a hot day because it is both cooling and filling.
Instead of ham, you could use kielbasa.

1 Like