What kind of plum is this?

True, that’s the best green plum/pluot I’ve tried.

2 Likes

Sarah,
I don’t have sophisticated taste, either. Last week, I bought three varieties of plouts from Wegman’s. One yellow like yours, the oypthers were red. During a check out, the screen showed Flavor Queen as the yellow one but it did not say on the receipt.

I ate all three, the yellow tasted somewhat mild and sour. Between the two reds, one was sweeter than the other but both were a lot better than the yellow one.

I remember thinking to myself that I hope tree- ripened Flavor Queen pluots would taste better than that. Meanwhile, those two store bought pluots tasted so sweet. What would they be like home grown. I thought about @fruitnut. No wonder he loves his pluots.

1 Like

The Emerald Drop pluot I just ate was firm, sweet, juicy and very delicious! It was half green, ( yellow shoulders) with deep orange flesh and 26 brix. It is my favorite green pluot/ plum. The texture is crisp and juicy, kind of like a sweetcrisp blueberry but better.

2 Likes

Do any of these plum or plum cot you guys mentioned here have scion that can be grafted to the plum trees I have?

Mamuang, I went back to wegmans yesterday, gosh, they have so many varieties of plum, plumcot.
I bought some black plum($2.49/ lb) taste pretty good.
Mottled plucot($2.99/lb) taste so so. pictures are below

And something called black velvet apricot ($4.99/lb! Can you believe it?)
It tastes just like an unriped plum(maybe because it is unripe, it’s still hard)

By the way, I also bought a horn Mellon. It has no taste!

2 Likes

Sarah,

I wish I took picture and measured the brix of my last purchase of the two red plumcot and the yellow one (Flovor Queen?).

Don’t you love it (sarcastically speaking) that most signs say, yellow plums, red pluots, yellow peach, white nectarine, etc.!!! .

1 Like

Pluot scions are compatible with Japanese plums so knock yourself out grafting :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll have scion avaiable for flavor queen, King, and dapple dandy. My supreme has been cut way down so none this year. Also satsuma.

1 Like

I definitely will try, thank you!

1 Like

I would love to have all the varieties you have, just don’t get disappointed when I don’t produce the success rate like others😛

1 Like

Plums are nice to graft as they take better. I have about 10 varieties grafted. I tried to graft last year. I made two of each when possible. Some I only made one graft as I didn’t have any more room. Some grafts failed, although I managed to get at least one graft of each cultivar I tried. So a great place to start. Apples too are even easier.

2 Likes