What kind of plum is this?

Find this plum at Wegmans(an east coast grocery store), the store label it as green plum(? I am certain about the green, not sure about the plum part, whether it’s plum or Pluot or plucot)
But, there is nothing green about this plum at all. It’s yellow, has a touch of red at the bottom.
This particular fruit weights about 3.5 oz. It’s sweet and delicious. Wegmans sells it for 2.99/lb. It taste like a plum to me, but I never had a plumcot before, so…

The fruit has a paper tag says family tree farm. I looked up online, seems there is a fruit farm in CA with such name.
Can anyone tell what it is from these pictures?

3 Likes

No can’t tell you the variety but they sell dozens of varieties maybe hundreds.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Can you at least tell from the pictures if this is plum or Pluot or something?

1 Like

It looks like Shiro, but so do other yellow plumoids

1 Like

Sarah,
Can you cut it open? I just want to see what inside look like.

The only yellow plum I have is Shiro (from my own tree) but I would not call Shiro delicious. It’s mildly sweet and juicy.

1 Like

It appears the pure yellow plums and pluots are not great. i have heard some that are yellow that blush red are good. I’m trying Vermont. I grafted it unto Satsuma.

1 Like

@ltilton, what is plumoid?

@mamuang, I ate the last one after I took the pictures😟 It did occur to me as I was taking the last bite that maybe I should take a picture of the flesh, but it was too late.
I will go to wegmans and see if they still have them. I think the flesh is yellow.
I am not very sophiscated about plum, all I can say is that it tastes better than all the other purple / red plum I had before. I like the texture too. This fruit is more than “mildly sweet” to me, but I don’t have a sweet tooth.

@Drew51, I googled “Vermont”, doesn’t look like it. The blush of red is at the pointy bottom, just a little red(maybe because it’s not ripe enough). It’s wider than it’s tall.

1 Like

My term for plum relatives and all their different names

2 Likes

I didn’t think it was. I was just pointing out that most of us don’t like the pure yellow plums, some do like ones like Vermont, which are not pure yellow. . But if you do that’s great! It has a strange shape, bet it’s a pluot.

2 Likes

It’s a Flavor Queen.

2 Likes

You are right!! The plu # is the same on the fruit as on their website.
So what’s everybody’s opinion on Flavor queen? Is it really good or I just don’t know any better😛

2 Likes

My family really likes Flavor Queen firm ripe. Its one of the top 10 pluots in my opinion, right behind Emerald Drop. Probably worth buying more! Also keep an eye out for future pluots from them, the large purple ones they may have soon are Flavor King, those are to die for!

I myself don’t care for it. Easy to grow though.

1 Like

The Plumogranates from them are exceptional. Brady

1 Like

FQ is very sweet but lacks flavor to my taste. Some seem to like them a lot more than others. Certainly not in the same ballpark as F Supreme or King. I’d say there is some agreement on that.

2 Likes

Yes I was just going to say flavor queen. Family tree farms sells tons of pluots. In fact I believe they have more varieties than Dave Wilson. Many of theirs is proprietary.

1 Like

I believe they have a full time person just testing new stone fruit varieties. The last time I saw the guy speak he said Family Tree Farms was testing varieties from 24 breeding programs from around the world. So yes they are testing things we have no hope of ever seeing except in the store.

I may retire and look for a good store…!!

2 Likes

Firm ripe is the way we like them, At this stage there is some acid in the skin that makes them much better. They are just sweet with little flavor when fully ripe. We also prefer Emerald Drop firm ripe which are better than FQ in my opinion.

Any fruit you’ve got to eat half green to get flavor isn’t that good IMO. I also prefer ED over FQ.

1 Like

And I prefer emerald beaut plum to either of those two