What nut are these?

1 Like

Looks sort of like shellbark hickory, but the pointed end doesn’t look right.

1 Like

It’s some kind of hickory or pecan.

1 Like

Not likely but it could be a hybrid pecan/hickory. Hican type

1 Like

Yellow buds. Could be a bitternut/Carya cordiformis.

Dax

2 Likes

Hope to know ina few months.

1 Like

If you pick it and put it on a solid surface and can crush it with your foot it is like what we used to call a pig nut. They are soft enough hickory nut that a pig can eat them whole

3 Likes

pig nut - bitternut hickory .

2 Likes

Don’t think I will be eating any of those. :unamused:

1 Like

You would be surprised. Pignut and Shellbark aka Shagbark hickory nuts are both delicious. See related threads. Think of the most delicious pecan you’ve ever eaten. They are right there for flavor.

2 Likes

I saw them last year on the edge of the woods. I never had a chance to crack any open as they were all gone in the fall. Even looked around the ground for some. They must be really liked by the squirrels and other critters.

1 Like

Pick them up as soon as they fall-- July thru Oct. De-husk immediately.

Let them air dry for 2 or 3 weeks, then crack em open.

Losses to burrowing weevils is to be expected. Any nuts that float in a bucket of water have been penetrated by bugs and should be discarded. Mold is also a problem. Air-drying is key. They call it “curing” the nuts.

1 Like

Here is a guide for hickory identification:

http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/tree-key/hickory-key.htm

1 Like

Bitternut hickory, C. cordiformis…for sure. those yellow buds are a giveaway.
Most are inedibly astringent, though occasionally one will turn up that’s ‘sweet’; unfortunate, as they have the thinnest shell and highest kernel % of the hickories other than pecan.

As Matt mentioned, most of the other hickories are great, though shagbark(C.ovata) and shellbark (C.laciniosa) are typically the most used/selected/collected. Even among those two species, there’s a tremendous variation in shell thickness, crackability, kernel %, and flavor.

3 Likes