What Pears will you grow this year?

I can attest to that. My Clapps on standard rootstock is on it’s ninth leaf and I don’t anticipate any blooms this year.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, i actually planted a Harrow Sweet for an espalier placement on your recommendation a week ago! I am excited about it but am hoping there is a red skinned variety I could look forward to grafting onto it. May have to look long and hard being so far north.

2 Likes

How about harrows delight? I have fruitlets this year!

1 Like

Harrow Delight. Is zone 5.

1 Like

Have you tasted it?? I’m a sweet pear guy, and melting, will it satisfy me?

1 Like

Yes its a sweet pear but does not hold a candle to harrow sweet if everything else is equal. Its early and thats nice. I did taste it last year from one of my trees. No doubt its a quality pear Harrow Delight Pear

3 Likes

I am hoping to graft several varieties of pear this year! Korean Giant, Harrow Sweet, Orient, Hood, Harrow Delight, and Moonglow. Courtesy of @Auburn and a Seckel from my father in law I also have 20 BET rootstock on the way for the scions!

2 Likes

I currently have Hosui which has set some fruit this Spring on it’s own (year 3). I am looking to expand my pear selection. Zone 7A Maryland. I’m down to 4 choices of which I will select 3:

Korean Giant
Potomac
Sunrise
Shenandoah

I think I can get enough cross pollination between any 3 of these and Hosui to be ok. If anyone thinks otherwise please let me know.

@Auburn I see you planted Potomac and Shenandoah. How are they coming along?

Adams County recommends planting pears on OHxF87 with 5’ spacing. Is that accurate? I’ve seen much wider spacing mentioned elsewhere for the same root stock.

Have you considered a Maxie Pear. I have one but it has not fruited yet. To be honest I am not sure how it tastes. It is an attractive tree. Below is a description from a nursery. It is supposed to work in zone 4.

A cross of Nijiseiki Asian Pear and Red Bartlett European Pear. Maxie is round, crisp and juicy like an Asian Pear, but with the complex European Pear flavor. Ripens on the tree in late August-early September. Early bloom.

3 Likes

I grafted these onto limbs 2019 and they grew well. No fruit yet.

1 Like

Clark,
Can you (or anyone) tell me what this small pear is? It ripened now.
What is this early pear?
Not Ayers. I have Ayers that ripen a couple weeks later?

3 Likes

@mamuang
How did it taste? Did it turn yellow?

The one that turned yellow (similar to Harrow Sweet yellow) was very small. Looked like it was stunted. It tasted fine, no grit but not that sweet. I ate that one right off the tree.

I put this one in a fridge. Probably won’t taste it until a week from now.

These pears were early last year, too. I did not expect any of my pears to ripen in July. By the time I checked, they were overripe and rotted from inside out. This year, only 2 pears reached maturity.

1 Like

Did you get any grafts of my small yellow pears?

Yes but I don’t recall putting it on that tree. It is on a OHxF 87.
However, grafting mix up is nothing new to me :grin:

1 Like

Its very easy to get things mixed up if we have a lot to do.

@clarkinks
Took it out of the fridge after a week. Cut it up. Internal rot like last year again.

2 Likes

It probably needed to pick earlier to prevent inside rot.

2 Likes

Tony,
That’s the hardest part. I learned from last year so I thought I picked them early this year. Well, next year, third time is a charm, I think.

2 Likes