What Pears will you grow this year?

Looks like buds for blooms to me. My Ayers are in full bloom right now.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to resist adding new pears to my small orchard (not sure I could name all them without a written list). If not for good labels I would have a bunch of unknowns. I really enjoy growing pears and I wish I could grow more varieties/trees. Wish I could grow half of the pears our Kansas friend does. @clarkinks

3 Likes

Stefan Sobkowiak grows succesfully ConfĂ©rence in MontĂ©rĂ©gie region of Quebec (probably USDA zone 4). They are said to be very delicious. They also look gorgeous ! I would plant one if I wasn’t afraid to lose it to fireblight. I am still looking for a good pear to grow. I read all your comments and thought about it for a while. I am leaning toward a russian pear, like Krasnobokaya. I would also love to find some canadian scion wood for Ichiban nashi or Shinsui, as they are said to be the first asian pears to ripen.

1 Like

Here is yulu, I think that looks like a flower bud

3 Likes

Hope it is a flower bud but it might just be a leaf but.

3 Likes

For those following this thread regarding potomac it is flowering.

2 Likes

For those following this thread Clara frijs has a few flowers this year on two trees! Thats great news and may actually produce some fruit. Be prepared for this pear it can be a long wait and consider ohxf333 or quince for rootstock to cut down the wait time.

1 Like

Finished grafting kosui , pai li, and ledbetter as well today.

1 Like

As i continue to graft the weather is turning off cold and windy again. Many grafts look promising already so this cool weather is a God send to finish my work!

3 Likes

Could anyone give an opinion on Red Clapps Favorite?

Or recommend a red pear for my zone? Thanks

2 Likes

I grafted it onto shinko, thinking that the Asian pear may speed up fruiting in Clara frijs but it seems to have only slowed its growth, lol.

1 Like

@Katie_didnt_Z4b
Red clapps favorite is not one i grow but Clapps on standard rootstocknis slow to fruit. I would grow harrow sweet if i werein your zone.

2 Likes

I can attest to that. My Clapps on standard rootstock is on it’s ninth leaf and I don’t anticipate any blooms this year.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, i actually planted a Harrow Sweet for an espalier placement on your recommendation a week ago! I am excited about it but am hoping there is a red skinned variety I could look forward to grafting onto it. May have to look long and hard being so far north.

2 Likes

How about harrows delight? I have fruitlets this year!

1 Like

Harrow Delight. Is zone 5.

1 Like

Have you tasted it?? I’m a sweet pear guy, and melting, will it satisfy me?

1 Like

Yes its a sweet pear but does not hold a candle to harrow sweet if everything else is equal. Its early and thats nice. I did taste it last year from one of my trees. No doubt its a quality pear Harrow Delight Pear

3 Likes

I am hoping to graft several varieties of pear this year! Korean Giant, Harrow Sweet, Orient, Hood, Harrow Delight, and Moonglow. Courtesy of @Auburn and a Seckel from my father in law I also have 20 BET rootstock on the way for the scions!

2 Likes

I currently have Hosui which has set some fruit this Spring on it’s own (year 3). I am looking to expand my pear selection. Zone 7A Maryland. I’m down to 4 choices of which I will select 3:

Korean Giant
Potomac
Sunrise
Shenandoah

I think I can get enough cross pollination between any 3 of these and Hosui to be ok. If anyone thinks otherwise please let me know.

@Auburn I see you planted Potomac and Shenandoah. How are they coming along?