What Pears will you grow this year?

Adams County recommends planting pears on OHxF87 with 5’ spacing. Is that accurate? I’ve seen much wider spacing mentioned elsewhere for the same root stock.

Have you considered a Maxie Pear. I have one but it has not fruited yet. To be honest I am not sure how it tastes. It is an attractive tree. Below is a description from a nursery. It is supposed to work in zone 4.

A cross of Nijiseiki Asian Pear and Red Bartlett European Pear. Maxie is round, crisp and juicy like an Asian Pear, but with the complex European Pear flavor. Ripens on the tree in late August-early September. Early bloom.

3 Likes

I grafted these onto limbs 2019 and they grew well. No fruit yet.

1 Like

Clark,
Can you (or anyone) tell me what this small pear is? It ripened now.
What is this early pear?
Not Ayers. I have Ayers that ripen a couple weeks later?

3 Likes

@mamuang
How did it taste? Did it turn yellow?

The one that turned yellow (similar to Harrow Sweet yellow) was very small. Looked like it was stunted. It tasted fine, no grit but not that sweet. I ate that one right off the tree.

I put this one in a fridge. Probably won’t taste it until a week from now.

These pears were early last year, too. I did not expect any of my pears to ripen in July. By the time I checked, they were overripe and rotted from inside out. This year, only 2 pears reached maturity.

1 Like

Did you get any grafts of my small yellow pears?

Yes but I don’t recall putting it on that tree. It is on a OHxF 87.
However, grafting mix up is nothing new to me :grin:

1 Like

Its very easy to get things mixed up if we have a lot to do.

@clarkinks
Took it out of the fridge after a week. Cut it up. Internal rot like last year again.

2 Likes

It probably needed to pick earlier to prevent inside rot.

2 Likes

Tony,
That’s the hardest part. I learned from last year so I thought I picked them early this year. Well, next year, third time is a charm, I think.

2 Likes

Thats most likely a very high quality pear. The best ones do that like my small yellow pear, clapps favorite etc.

Has anyone fruited Elliott pear? One of my fellow fruit nuts in the local Northern CA CRFG chapter suggested that we try it. Developed in CA and supposedly fire blight resistant. We obtained scions from the Corvallis repository and have been less than impressed with the growth we both got on our grafts. In fact, I did three grafts - only one took. I did over 20 pear grafts this year with 3 failures - two were Elliott.

2 Likes

Shroyers sunset has been easy to grow so far. This is it blooming.

Rogue red is shown below. Today is April 9th 2021

1 Like

Congratulations. That’s great. I need to get that variety. Jerry Shroyer was somebody I really looked up to.

1 Like

@murky

I figured it was one you have. I hope to share Shroyers sunset pear soon. In the meantime I will document my research about this pear. Let me know if you want me to send it next year.

Thanks, I may take you up on that. I voted for the name and think I sat near the scions at the propagation fair, but somehow managed to walk away empty handed. Then this winter a friend brought me some scions from the germplasm repository, and I didn’t think to ask for it.

Funny, I’ll be driving down to Corvallis and back for work on Tuesday.

1 Like

I am in north Texas and added warren, Magness and Ayers this year. Orient, kieffer, Seckel and moonglow are fruiting this year so hopefully I will finally get a taste of Seckel and moonglow for the first time. I also grafted Korean giant, Ms. laleene, gates, gilmer Christmas and honey sweet as I was looking for pears that ripen later in the season. It will be interesting when all of these trees finally start to fruit.

2 Likes

In Texas you may want to try Leona and Tenn among others as well. Dr. Natelson grew many pears Leona Pear