Elliot pear aka Selena pear

@mamuang brought up the Elliot pear years ago.Think its time this pear gets its own thread.

She posted these photos back in 2021

USPP6452P

"University of California Berkeley

Worldwide applications

A new and distinct variety of pear tree primarily characterized by its tolerance to the fire-blight organism. (Erwinia amylovora), and further characterized by a blooming habit concurrent with Bartlett; skin with firm and buttery texture, and fruit with a flavor which is excellent to good. The keeping quality of the fruit is good to excellent.

Description

This invention relates to a new variety of pear tree; (Pyrus communis), characterized by its tolerance to the fire-blight organism; Erwinia amylovora.

The new variety is a progeny of a cross between Elliot No. 4 (female parent) and Vermont Beauty (pollen parent). Elliot No. 4 was discovered as a rootstock sucker on the Elliot Ranch in the Sacramento River delta by Dr. Harvey E. Thomas, Plant Pathologist at the University of California, Berkeley, Calif. In the early 1930’s a grafted plant of Elliot No. 4 was given to Dr. Luther D. Davis, a faculty member in the Department of Pomology of the University of California.

Beauty`. Seeds germinated in 1965 and were grown in the University’s Davis nursery. Hybrid seedlings of the cross were transplanted in 1967 at their present location in Davis, Calif. where the seedling of the variety of this invention was selected for its commercial potential.

The present variety which has been named Elliot was asexually reproduced in 1982 by top-grafting on compatible pear seedlings at Davis, Calif. and, in maturity, the reproductions have proven true to the original selection in all respects.
The pear tree of the new variety blooms concurrently with Bartlett and is rather vigorous. Additionally, the fruit possesses a richness of flavor and smoothness of texture superior to Bartlett.

The most valuable asset of the new variety is its tolerance to the fire-blight organism, Erwinia amylovora. When bacterial suspension were administered to open flowers, the flowers turned black but the infection dis not invade beyond the peduncle. Under natural conditions, only two cankers have been observed since 1967. The foundation block of the variety was not sprayed with any chemical or antibiotic during the period the tree was observed.

The botanical details of the new and distinct variety of pear tree with color definitions according to Munsell Color System-Nickerson Color Fan, are as follows:
Tree: The original tree stands about 16 feet high with a trunk diameter of about 14 inches (4.9 meters tall with a diameter of 36 cm.). The trunk has a scaly bark. The growth habit is upright with narrow branching angle, typical of the European pears.

Stem.–Smooth epidermis, highly pigmented (2.5 R 4/10) with anthocyanin, especially on the side exposed to the sun.

Hardiness.–Withstands the cold of Northern California without any signs of winter injury.

Bearing potential.–Bears regularly; grafted trees begin to bear in the 3rd season in the orchard. Compatible with Winter Nelis seedling; untested on Quince rootstocks.

Leaves:

Size and shape.–Elliptical, the length ranging from 5.1 to 8.9 cm and the width ranging from 1.8 to 4.7. The mean length width ratio is 1.9:1.0. Apices are acute to murconate; margins are finely serrate.

Petiole.–Slender, approximately equal in length to the leaf blade, and occasionally stipulate.

Adaxial or upper side.–Glabrous or glossy, and smooth.

Abaxial or under side.–Dull.

Flowers: The mixed buds contain 2 to 7 flowers.

Bloom date.–Depending on the cold hours, anthesis is from middle to late March, overlapping with Bartlett in most years.

Petals.–Average size, pinkish (10 RP 8/5) at budbreak turning white at full bloom.

Anthers.–Purple (2.5 P 3/8) prior to dehiscence turning black after shedding pollen. Bears fertile pollen.

Fruit:

Size and shape.–Pyriform and tapered slightly, lacking a distinct shoulder. Length and width range from 6-9 and 3-6 cm at maximum equatorial diameter, respectively. Pedicel is short (1 cm) and thick with a pronounced thickening at the base. Calyx lobes are mostly persistent.

Skin color.–Good yellow (5 Y 8/12) with slight russetting (2.5 Y 6/8 to 7/10) when ripe typical of a fall pear. Side exposed to sun tends to form reddish blush.

Flesh color.–White. The soluble solids content is about 18%. Core size: average to large.

Texture.–Buttery and tender but firm with low fiber content.

Juice.–Rich – not watery, not overly sweet, has body to it and a pleasant aroma.

Flavor.–Excellent to good. Sugar:acid ratio is well balanced; pleasant to taste.

Keeping quality.–Good to excellent, keeping for 3 months at 32° F. in an ambient atmosphere.

Ripening.–The fruit will ripen on the tree unlike many European pear cultivars.

The fruit of Elliott is susceptible to attack by coddling moths but no more so than Bartlett and Elliot because of its tolerance to fire blight and its excellent flavor and texture should be valuable as a back yard pear tree."

2327-9834-article-p869.pdf (5.9 MB)

3 Likes

@mamuang brought it up here again Clarkinks 2021 / 2022 recommended pears everyone must have - #113 by mamuang

@Stan brought the pear up here showing the excellent fruit Stan’s harvest diary 2021 - #123 by Stan

@mayhaw brought it up again here What Pears will you grow this year? - #74 by mayhaw9999

1 Like

I agree that this pear deserves its own thread. I had one pear on my young tree last year and was impressed with the flavor. This year it has set a lot of fruit so I will need to thin it heavily as the tree is still very small and is on OHxF 87. I wish it was on callery though I got great growth last year when I grafted it to another older pear on callery. No blooms this year on that graft.

BTW, did you know that, according to the listing in Joan Morgan’s book, it is grown commercially in France as Selena.

Clark,
I grafted your Little Yellow Pear this year. You sent scions to one of my good fruit-growing friends and he shared them with me. Though I don’t like the early ripening pears as much, I’m looking forward to trying this one.

1 Like

@mayhaw9999

On a good year, my little Yellow Pear is the best i have ever eaten. On a bad year, a walnut husk would taste better. It is subject to internal breakdown. Early on i nearly grafted it over myself, but I was very glad i didn’t. It is the hardest pear to grow properly, but given your experience with pears i know, you will grow it and be amazed! It will be the best pear you ever ate. It wont store or ship. It is commercially worthless. I’m glad to hear your growing it. When you see it slightly turn color from green to to a greenish yellow it is nearly time. It can change from green to ripe in a few hours. In your zone it is possible you will get two crops. On a good year in my area i have got a very small second crop in the late fall. Will love to find out how it does for you!

Very interesting the Elliot pear is Selena! I’m familiar with that pear and would have never made that connection Selena pears set to hit French market | Article | Fruitnet @mrsg47 have you saw it in France?

I had a branch of this pear growing from a USDA-Corvallis scion but lost that tree in the divorce before I could taste it.

Lows in the 30s tonight in Scranton. Cold and rainy entrance to May. :-1: :-1:

Here were my notes on the Elliot pear:

Elliot aka Selena. Comparable to Bosc. Late-season ripener. Cross-pollinates w/ Winter Nelis. Fireblight resistant.

I think @BobVance has/had it.

1 Like

No, I’ve never made it to France. I was surprised to see that in Joan Morgan’s The Book of Pears.

1 Like

Matt, I also got my scions from Corvallis. My tree was grafted in 2020 on OHxF87 and grew very slowly in a 5 gal pot . I planted it in Spring 2021 and it fruited 2022 but only one pear so my experience is extremely limited. It matured a week or so after Warren and was refrigerated for a few weeks, then ripened. Very pleased but not enough fruit for a meaningful evaluation. It certainly seems to be precocious.
It has set very heavily this year so I hope for a good evaluation.

2 Likes

I do (probably) still have it. I’m not sure if I’ve sampled it. I may have, but between losing a lot of pears to animals and just not paying as much attention to Euro pears in recent years (jujube season takes most of the focus and I tend to like the Asian pears better, at least Korean Giant).

The reason I say “probably” is that I recently transplanted the tree it was on (a large 3-4" caliper). I suspect it will live, but it isn’t a sure thing given its size.

I do have a vague recollection of it being good, but I’m not sure if that is from me trying it one time or from me expecting it to be good based on the description. Maybe I’ll check to see if there are still dormant buds on the tree and make a backup graft of it.

2 Likes

Not yet! I will keep my eye out for the pear!

1 Like

I don’t have record who sent me Elliot so I can’t say if mine really is Elliot. It is late blooming as it is blooming now when most of my pears have dropped petals.

1 Like

@mamuang

Yours matches others and descriptions.

A late follow-up. My Elliot is not particularly late blooming. Not as late as Comice, Paragon, Rocha or Shenandoah. Here are the photos taken today. Each cluster had 2 or 3 pears that I thinned to one due to the small size of the tree. There are 6 fruit on the tree though it is hard to see them in the photo. My fruit look like the images on the GRIN site.

You mentioned in another thread (that I have been unable to locate) that I have posted pear photos so I started a new thread today. I’m going to try to photograph each variety as they are picked. Of course, as things get busy around here, that may not happen.

5 Likes

Based on this old article, my Elliot may be a real Elliot as well., esp. the comparison pictures.

Mine is in quite a shady area so it is unlikely to get red blush.

Very pretty pear. I hope it tastes good!

Have you fruited it yet? I ate one last year and was impressed. Looking forward to a few more fruit this year.
That Hort Science article was quoted in the narrative on the GRIN database but it is good to see the photos from the original.

It fruited last year but I could not recall how it tasted. I have had a hard time figuring out how much refrigeration Euro pears need before counter ripen.

The shape of your Elliot pear and mine looked a bit different. Yours was more tapered. I disregard the color because your tree is in a hot, sunny area. Mine is in a cool, shady area.

1 Like

Do you have fruit this year? if so, I would like to compare the fruit more closely. If you can, please take a photo of the calix end and a close-up of the stem area. Your photo of the stem area looks much different from my fruit or the GRIN images.
My scion came from Corvallis but they have been known to mix up things too.

No fruit this year, unfortunately.

We have had so much rain for weeks. With apples and pears not in full sun, the trees have serious issues with sooty blotch and fly specks. Hope they will recover.

Sorry, you are having such a poor season. It was similar for us this spring with the plums, pluots and apricots. We had rain and more rain and then some late frosts. My early blooming varieties set no fruit and the later ones had only a few. When the cherries, sour cherries, apples and pears bloomed conditions were good so we had an excellent set on almost all varieties.

I opened a thread yesterday - 2003 Pear Harvest - where I will be posting pictures. Please visit when you can.

1 Like

Yes, I look forward to pictures of your pears on that thread.

I hope you grow Aurora and Docteur Desportes. I’d like to compare the ones I grow to yours.