Stan’s harvest diary 2021

Thank god, fig harvest is winding down, I cannot eat them anymore.

Gold Rush apples (picked Aug 27)

Pomegranate harvest started in earnest:

9 Likes

Wow that’s early! What variety?

I’d like to have that problem.

1 Like

Mostly Rannii, but also some Desertnyi, Myatadzhy, and Gissarskii Rozovyi.

4 Likes

Apple and pomegranate harvests continue.

These apples are mostly Golden Russet and a couple of others mixed in.

Parfianka pomegranate. Unfortunately, it’s prone to rotting, so have to pick it while it’s still good. Potentially, arils can get darker and sweeter, but at this stage the flavor is already very good.

15 Likes

Elliot pear, excellent rich flavor. More info here.

12 Likes

This is fifth bucket full of pomegranates harvested this season. They are crazy good. We finish a bucket in a couple of days.

9 Likes

Stan
When did you pick Elliot?

About 20 days ago.

About 3 weeks ago and you are in zone 9. I am zone 6, Mine could be 3-4 more weeks, I guess.

Actually, for late ripening fruits the difference in harvesting times becomes less obvious. Possibly, because of longer summer days up north.

That’s a good point. We do have 12+hours of sun in the summer. Unfortunately, not many sunny days this summer.

How long did you refrigerate your Elloitt?

7-10 days.

1 Like

Pamyati Rozanova (Памяти Розанова, Memory of Rozanov) Pomegranate. One of the best flavored pomegranates, in my opinion.

12 Likes

can you describe the flavor? The best ones I have had so far are soft-seeded with a balanced sweet + tart flavor. I heard the good ones have floral notes, but haven’t tried them yet

Pamyati Rozanova is a soft-seeded, sweet-tart type, very juicy. Some varieties do have a floral flavor, but this one is intense, vinous kind of flavor.

3 Likes

Spitzenburg and Arkansas Black apples, picked one month ago (Oct 16). Spitzenburg does very well here, despite being considered a northern apple, our summer heat does not affect it unlike some earlier ripening apples. It’s very flavorful with a good texture. Arkansas Black looks nice but the flavor is so-so.

6 Likes

Harvest from Nov 16: (clockwise) Aromatnaya quince (very aromatic indeed!), Reinette Simirenko apples, Katharine apple, Korean Giant Asian pears, some late figs.

8 Likes

@Stan does the elliot taste anything like a bosc?

1 Like

I’m not sure, I don’t grow Bosc and have not eaten store bought pears in years. I’m sure Elliot was better tasting than any store bought pear I could remember.

2 Likes