What Pears will you grow this year?

Its very easy to get things mixed up if we have a lot to do.

@clarkinks
Took it out of the fridge after a week. Cut it up. Internal rot like last year again.

2 Likes

It probably needed to pick earlier to prevent inside rot.

2 Likes

Tony,
That’s the hardest part. I learned from last year so I thought I picked them early this year. Well, next year, third time is a charm, I think.

2 Likes

Thats most likely a very high quality pear. The best ones do that like my small yellow pear, clapps favorite etc.

Has anyone fruited Elliott pear? One of my fellow fruit nuts in the local Northern CA CRFG chapter suggested that we try it. Developed in CA and supposedly fire blight resistant. We obtained scions from the Corvallis repository and have been less than impressed with the growth we both got on our grafts. In fact, I did three grafts - only one took. I did over 20 pear grafts this year with 3 failures - two were Elliott.

2 Likes

Shroyers sunset has been easy to grow so far. This is it blooming.

Rogue red is shown below. Today is April 9th 2021

1 Like

Congratulations. That’s great. I need to get that variety. Jerry Shroyer was somebody I really looked up to.

1 Like

@murky

I figured it was one you have. I hope to share Shroyers sunset pear soon. In the meantime I will document my research about this pear. Let me know if you want me to send it next year.

Thanks, I may take you up on that. I voted for the name and think I sat near the scions at the propagation fair, but somehow managed to walk away empty handed. Then this winter a friend brought me some scions from the germplasm repository, and I didn’t think to ask for it.

Funny, I’ll be driving down to Corvallis and back for work on Tuesday.

1 Like

I am in north Texas and added warren, Magness and Ayers this year. Orient, kieffer, Seckel and moonglow are fruiting this year so hopefully I will finally get a taste of Seckel and moonglow for the first time. I also grafted Korean giant, Ms. laleene, gates, gilmer Christmas and honey sweet as I was looking for pears that ripen later in the season. It will be interesting when all of these trees finally start to fruit.

2 Likes

In Texas you may want to try Leona and Tenn among others as well. Dr. Natelson grew many pears Leona Pear

I got scions of Shroyer’s Sunset in March 2019, the year Pete Scott started the followup group, thanks to one of my friends coming to your scion exchange in Camby and snagging a stick for me. I wrote Pete that I had the scion and he added me to the group. Joseph Postman sent me additional scoins later that spring. So I have a tree on OHxF87 and a graft topworked on a mature tree. the latter is blooming now. I’m looking forward to tasting it if it sets any fruit this year.

1 Like

Clark,
What is your experience with Rouge Red? My two grafts of it topworked on other trees have grown extremely vigorously but have never bloomed. Another good pear grower in the area has has a similar experience on a single variety tree.

1 Like

@mayhaw9999

Have some rogue red blooming this year I grafted in 2019. They are very fast growing which concerns me regarding fireblight. I have some on BET and some on callery.

I have a graft labeled Elliot pear fruited this year. Fruit are small so I thin most out and left 3. They are still small. Not sure when to pick them. Not sure they are true to label, either.

@clarkinks - do you grow Elliot pear?

1 Like

I planted a tree in Jan that is grafted on OHxF87. It has grown slowly this summer. - probably not enough irrigation. I also top-worked a tree to it and several other varieties in March or April. It is the slowest grower of the 5 varieties. We’ll see.

1 Like

I do not grow Elliot

My first couple Asian pears proved a success, so I’ll graft more next year.

2 Likes

How did they turn out?