I have always sprayed and covered my fruits, so don’t really have the information that you are asking for. I did a lot of research on this excellent forum and on university extension websites, and the universal recommendation is to spray for Brown Rot, so I followed that.
Sorry, I don’t know. You can research it yourself, preferably using the active ingredient name.
Again, I am not very familiar with the efficacy of this fungicide.
I suggest you wear gloves and a face shield. It is not very comfortable, but personal safety is important. This is a general recommendation, and yes, some pesticides are safer than others, and perhaps the residue you are getting exposed to is negligible, but I don’t have enough knowledge to assess that, hence, I would err on the side of caution.
Thanks. I’m in Japan, they sell different products here, and my Japanese is not that good, so it’s much more difficult to sort some stuff out. Staff at the stores know less than I do. I can’t find much relevant information on the Internet about thiophanate for peaches. Apparently it can also be used on my grapes. I really hope it’s not too toxic for human health.
none of my gloves are dexterous enough to be able to tie paper bags. I can try some surgical gloves, hopefully they won’t break in the process.
Here is some information from the University of Florida,about Topsin M,whose active ingredient is thiophanate-methyl.Probably what yours is.
It states,that it can be used for Brown Rot.
Thanks, yes I bought TopsinM. The package lists it to use on everything you can imagine including things like lettuce, and says you can spray it the day before harvest. This concerns me, spraying anything the day before you eat it. The only information I can find about it is from the manufacturer, which seems like a conflict of interest.
I’m just about to spray now, and I found I’ve got some Benomyl left over from last year. Not sure if this is better to use for my peaches and grapes?
There are some chemicals that are not suppose to be applied,after a certain phase,as a plant is growing or bearing fruit.So to me,if the product is listed as safe to use,just before harvest,it isn’t extremely toxic.
What does the manufacturer list as being concerning?
One thing I don’t like about both,is that they are systemics,but sometimes there are not many choices.
They list no concerns, other than the usual wear gloves and goggles hazmat suits and all that stuff, lol. Both fungicides are widely available at all the shops around here, and list very liberal use multiple times per season right up to harvest. I have trouble finding actual feedback on these chemicals for peaches and grapes though. And as I mentioned, I’m uneasy with poisons, even though the manufacturers have no problem with it.
I found some Indar online, it’s about triple the price and I’ll have to wait for it to be shipped in. Can Indar also be used on grapes for powdery mildew scale etc.?
From what little I read,it didn’t mention about Grapes and Powdery Mildew.What a University recommends trying first,is a horticultural oil or Sulfur,the micronized kind,that won’t clog a sprayer.
If you are interested in the toxicity of thiophanate-methyl, pages 8, 9, 10
Yes, PHI is 14 days, I think for peach is even longer.
(Note: Fenbuconazole also not approved in Europe).
Thanks. I couldn’t find any consumer feedback of how effective they were.
I ended up just using Benomyl mixed with copper. I may order some Indar online.
Is EU more careful about poisons? How do they control brown rot and mildew?
The EU has a detailed regulation of pesticides, but this is a bit complicated to answer.
If you are interested and have time and patience, you can read about it here:
Some member states have additional regulations. I believe, some non-union states follow EU directives in this matter.
For many active substances, the registration expired in the period 2020-2023, (so they are banned or not approved)
I can recommend:
- pyraclostrobin + boscalid (PHI 7 days for stone fruits )
- fluopyram + tebuconazole (PHI 3 days for peach )
- cyprodinil + fludioxonil (PHI 7 days for stone fruits )
- copper (allowed only before bloom)
Why is copper restricted?
I quoted the instructions from the label (from a well-known copper fungicide product) .
It is intended for that specific disease (brown rot - Monilinia spp.)
For some other disease, the instructions may be different.
I think the main reason is to limit the accumulation of copper as a heavy metal in the ground if/when it is not necessary.
I thought copper was organic and harmless?
Firstly, copper (and its agricultural formulations) is not an organic compound; it is used/allowed in “organic farming”.
Seocondly, it is far from harmless - copper is a heavy metal and is toxic (as are its formulations used to protect plants).
For example, copper sulphate (from European Chemical Agency):
Should I add that it can also be phytotoxic…
If a Fungicide is systemic, does that mean it doesn’t have to be sprayed directly on the fruit in order to protect it?
It should be printed on the product’s label.Some systemics are taken in through the leaves,while others can be poured,for root absorption.
Specifically Benomyl. The label gives no information to answer my question. But as a principal, do systemic fungicide’s work that way?
I don’t know much about Benomyl.Are there instructions on the label?