What’s this on my nectarines?

I just noticed about a quarter of my Fantasia nectarines have been ruined with this. All of my fruit is bagged, so I didn’t notice it until I physically squeezed every bag.

This is a rot, possibly Brown Rot. You should spray with a good fungicide before bagging.

2 Likes

Blossom end rot.

1 Like

At this point, perhaps a copper spray can help a bit.

I agree with Ahmad, get a fungicide that is effecive for control of brown rot. I think there are better options than copper.

Copper is not good enough for brown rot. At this point, I would remove all bags, discard any questionable fruit together with the bags covering them, and spray the remaining ones with something like propioconazole or Indar. Make sure you read the label and that you have enough days remaining before harvest to fulfill the pre harvest interval.

1 Like

Indar is particularly effective against brown rot.

1 Like

I sprayed everything (bags on) last night with an organic copper spray.
Is Indar bad for your skin? As I’d have to be handling the tree a lot to rebag everything. May be able to accomplish it with full cover and gloves.
Not sure I want to go through all the rebag work again this year. Are any of the fruit likely to survive if I just let things go as is this year?
If some of the fruit has not been infected, and it’s covered with a bag, is it likely to be protected from brown rot infection? How is it transmitted exactly?

I have already told you what I believe is the best course of action, you can follow it or try other alternatives, but it will take you years of trial and error to figure it yourself (reinvent the wheel). You don’t have to listen to one person’s (me) opinion, but do some serious research to save yourself years of frustration and wasted crops.

For any spraying, you have to be wearing appropriate PPE, which should be described on the pesticide label.

Possibly, but that depends on the disease pressure in your yard. Rot gets transmitted by fungal spores (which can be in the thousands or millions) floating around in the air, and infection is highly favored by humid conditions.

3 Likes

I’m prepping this year, will be spraying first round of pesticide. I can buy indar here. Spray just before bagging. Perhaps a couple of sprays over bags during the season. Im not going to remove all the bags to apply. Is this likely to stop the issue? Or little help? Very humid hot conditions in summer.

What di you spray for over the bags?

The point of bagging is so you can stop spraying.

First spray of insecticide right at petal fall and at least one or two more every 7-10 days while waiting for fruit to size up is what I do.

I spray at shuck split with insecticide (for plum curculio) and propioconazole fungicide (or equivalent fungicide), then bags few days later if I can (you can wait till fruit is olive size before bagging, as long as you repeat the above spray a couple of days before bagging). After bagging, I like to spray for OFM and Japanese beetles, and since I am spraying anyway, I throw in a fungicide with the insecticide. I usually spray 2-3 times after bagging and that’s it (except for an insecticide directed at the stems for borers late in the summer).

So hopefully the last spray before bagging when they’re all olive sized is going to be enough fungicide on the fruit for the rest of the season? And a couple of over-bag maintenance sprays afterwards will hopefully knock back some of the spores outside of the bag? Does this stop all fungus destroyed fruit, or…?

Also no problem to mix the pesticide and fungicide in same bottle?

Yes, with that spray regimen, I used to get 90-95% control of rots. In general, there is no problem mixing the fungicide and insecticide, there might be some exceptions. I used Infuse as fungicide and Esfenvalerate as insecticide. You can use any pyrethroid from the orange store or the blue store.

It’s about the future fungicide.

How many times and when do you spray fungicide after bagging?

Just checked my 2020 notes (last year before moving from my old property), bagged on May 18, sprayed the on May 27 and on June 10.

Ok, thanks. Do you know what kind of losses you were getting without spraying fungicide? I lost maybe 1/4 of the mature fruit to fungus.

1 Like

Is benomyl good for this problem?

1 Like

I went to several local stores, and they didn’t have Indar. So I bought some thiophanate. Is this effective as a preventative? Also, I can’t help but get some residue on my face and hands when bagging. How safe is it?

1 Like