What to do with all the passionfruit?

The passionfruit vine is going crazy, I have around a dozen fruit dropping each day. What to do with all of them?

I processed the pulp to remove the seeds and made fruit smoothies (a hit with the family.) Processing is a pain…but I saved some juice to make the passionfruit habanero vodka that @Lids suggested some time ago (we’re soaking habaneros in vodka right now.)

We’ve eaten them plain… I’ve scooped out a bunch and tossed them into a pitcher of crystal light…but I’m running out of ideas. I have seen some interesting recipes out there, but does anyone else have a good recipe that they would like to share?

3 Likes

Think condiments.

1 Like

I haven’t tried this exact recipe, but I have eaten this dessert in China and it is delicious.

Passionfruit cheesecake

4 Likes

To preserve passion fruit juice: we first screen out the seeds and then freeze it in covered ice cube trays. One or two cubes is a perfect addition to ice tea, 3-4 to make bbq sauce, etc.

3 Likes

What type of condiments did you have in mind? I saw an interesting glaze for cooking chicken, and maybe fish. There are also some interesting desert toppings.

I did freeze a bunch of juice for use in the cocktail. Ice cubes as a way to portion out the juice is ingenious!

1 Like

That sounds good! I haven’t made a cheese cake in 20 years, it may be time to try again.

Here’s a photo of a covered tray used for Kei Apple juice.

Recipies don’t have to be specific to passionfruit. Experiment.

4 Likes

My Aussie friend makes passionfruit butter–for biscuits, pancakes, you name it. It is THE BEST!

4 Likes

Take some down to the roadside stand or farmers market and see if you can trade for other fruits or vegetables. Once my little orchard takes off I’m hoping to trade my fruits for eggs and vegetables since I don’t plan on having a vegetable garden.

Passionfruit ice cream!

This is pretty similar to a recipe I’ve used before, I think I subbed out the some of the heavy cream for milk just because it seemed rich enough with the egg yolks. It’s a great way to preserve them so you can enjoy passionfruit flavor during the winter months.

2 Likes

I love passion fruit. I have some vines i grew out from seed, but no flowers or anything yet. I’d imagine you could freeze it.

1 Like

Some very interesting ideas, thank you all! My vine has definitely hit its stride and is producing a ton of fruit again. Last year I took the recommendations to freeze the pulp and that turned out well.

2 Likes

We add it to the Valencia orange juice and it is amazing. The oranges ripen in the fall and perfect timing for the passion fruits

2 Likes

Do you strain out the seeds before you freeze it?

Yes I do. I spoon the pulp into a strainer placed over a large bowl and work the pulp back and forth to extract the juice. The drained pulp and seeds either go into the compost or trash.