What to do with all those persimmons - common and uncommon uses

My persimmons are still at least a year out from producing anything, but that hasn’t stopped me from daydreaming about large harvests. I’ve been learning more and more just how much of a workhorse persimmons can be from a self-reliance/homesteading perspective. I thought I’d start this thread to catalog some of those uses. I’d love to hear from folks who have tried some of the more unusual uses.

Who knows? Maybe in a few years I’ll have more than I know what to do with and can start making vinegar and lacquer! Anyone know of any other rare uses I missed?

13 Likes

Not exactly a how-to, but a nice video showing the process of making persimmon vinegar and hoshigaki-style dried persimmons in China.

4 Likes

How many years until persimmons start producing? I keep putting off getting ordering some

All my ‘extra’ fruit goes to making jam and then brewing / wine making :yum:

3 Likes

Made some simple jam last year with some very ripe, super sweet Nakitas Gift pulp. We cut the sugar in half because it was sooo sweet.
For regular DV the recipe should work just fine but I haven’t tried it yet.

2 cups pulp
2 cups sugar
1/2 a lemon
Juice lemon, throw out seeds, throw in peel ( pectins in the peel)
Simmer until it thickens. Voilà

5 Likes

@CWC

Another board member posted this yesterday…

100-46 is the most precocious persimmon I have. It bore fruit the next year after I grafted it. It produces so much that it will break the branches if you don’t take measures to support it.

That may not be the norm… but some varieties can start producing pretty quick.

6 Likes

Very cool! And the astringency didn’t come back when you cooked it? That’s going on my list.

1 Like

There was no astringency, before or after.

3 Likes

During the Fall i am an absolute fool for Pumpkin bread and Black Walnut banana bread… i think i may like Wild Persimmon Bread better. :yum:

4 Likes

As with everything, “it depends.” I’ve seen reports of first year grafts holding on to and ripening fruit, and reports of trees still dropping all or most fruit 10 years in. I think 3-5 years is the most common range I see cited for years to fruit from the size tree you’d be able to buy. Pollination, tree size, variety can all play a role.

1 Like

Are there persimmon varieties known to hold their flavor better thru cooking… like to make jam… or thru freezing for storage ?

I made some jam out of some awesome tasting wild americans last year… and after simmering the pulp 8 min… and freezing to store as freezer jam…

Once thawed… that awesome taste was gone.
It was almost as bad as my jujube jam :wink:

My recipe works great for raspberries, logans, blackberries, peaches, strawberries, apples, pears…

But really flopped on persimmons.
Huge flavor loss.

3 Likes

I have made Syrup, Jam, and Ice Cream. That flavor is very delicate though, and it needs quite a bit of acid to balance out that sweetness…

I only grow non-astringents, so I have no idea how you would prep those…

2 Likes

Seems like some of the other members said the same about freezing the Americans. I’m interested to find out if that’s true.

1 Like

I prefer them dried, no sugar added. The sun is free, at least in California. But I don’t grow American persimmons, I only have Fuyu.

Maybe soap? I have seen persimmon soap and it was pleasant but expensive.

1 Like

Vinegar… its very healthy.

1 Like

And, of course, we have persimmon “molasses”:

@clarkinks persimmons might give your pears a run for their money on utility.

5 Likes

I like freezing DV persimmon to eat individually. I pick out the best, least damaged fruit, then clean and wash them. Set them on a cookie sheet and stick them in the freezer. Shortly after they are frozen, I wrap each one in aluminum foil, then put them all in a ziplok. Defrost on the counter top, and pop them into your mouth. Yum.

5 Likes

@jcguarneri

They are definately good and useful fruit to grow.

2 Likes

In The Flavor Bible, Page and Dornenburg list flavor pairings recommended by a panel of chefs interviewed for the book, and the recommendations skew very heavily towards persimmon pudding flavors. The highly recommended pairings are brandy, cinnamon, cream, grapes, hazelnuts, honey, lemon, orange, pecans, pomegranates, salads, sugar, vanilla, walnuts. I assume everybody they interviewed was thinking of D. kaki but for the sweet applications I think they’d all work with D. virginiana.

If you can grow non-astringent types, they’re great as a fall salad – arugula or any peppery tender green, pecans (could be candied), crisp persimmons, some salty cheese (shaved parmigiano is great), good balsamic + olive oil.

I would expect there are more applications if you dive deep into regional Chinese, Japanese, or Korean cuisines, but outside of the more well-known uses I don’t recall reading about any. But perhaps this is a rabbit hole I need to dive down once my trees start producing…

6 Likes

I have a book somewhere ?
“ persimmons for everyone “
As I remember it was mostly recipes for persimmons.
I believe it’s now out of print.

4 Likes