What varieties produce the largest fruit?

Apples? Well, Rome Beauty is pretty good sized, Wolf River can be a giant. I grafted one last year that’s supposed to put Wolf River to shame, a summer cooking apple that doesn’t keep.

1 Like

I am excited to graft Wolf River for this same reason :wink: :grin:

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about getting a Turnbull Pear tree. They look huge.

1 Like

I’ve read claims that Howgate Wonder holds the record for biggest apple, also Pumpkin Sweet, Wolf River & Spokane Beauty.
Lyman’s Large summer apple is supposed to be, well, impressive for what might be an August apple in these parts. I may give it a try some day.
My Connell Red puts out really big apples, even in its first full bloom. Three inches plus high & tall; bland due to high heat, in this case.

Twenty Ounce is likely to be a September apple. I’ve got one successful graft of it from last year, for friends, and hope to graft it again onto a shoot of Geneva 11 for myself next month. I don’t expect 20 Oz. to be enormous, but large, juicy, tasty and useful all-around.
Here’s hopin’!

3 Likes

Guinness says the world record is a 4 lb. 1 oz. apple in Japan. (It’s solid red in color).

I’m expecting OOTEN to be pretty impressive…but will be 2 or 3 years for first crop.

3 Likes

For me, Dae Sol Jo has produced the largest jujube fruits, consistently larger than Shanxi Li. That’s DSJ on the left and Shanxi Li in the middle.

7 Likes

The shoot failed - well, I broke it when removing tufts of grass near the stump - for which I’d hoped to graft Twenty Ounce. I dug out the stump & moved Twenty Ounce/Geneva 30 into its place instead. Doing fine so far. It might make a sample fruit in a couple years.

Two Howgate Wonder grafts on Gen30 survived, which might offer samples before the four year old on MM111 ever gets around to fruiting - again, in a few years. All three will go somewhere besides my yard. Perhaps I can get a bud of this started on a limb of Connell.
Howgate has several attributes: PSF mid-season bloom, excellent disease resistance including bitter pit, vigorous growth, juicy useful fruit which keeps a couple months. Can it endure a hot dry summer?

Connell set plenty of fruit, thinned and covered with orchard sox. Last year the largest measured at least 3" x 3" & weighed over a pound. No scale on hand to get a true reading. Since then I got a good scale so should have accurate weight for the next whopper.

Spokane Beauty is also the largest apple at the USDA/Cornell experimental orchard in Geneva, NY.

2 Likes