What wild plants do you collect?

I made a batch. Not bad, it’s on the soft side, I’d like it more crispy. I will try using tempura batter next time

3 Likes

Did you wet the batter first? Mine looked like little pancake dumplings and you couldn’t see the dandelion at all

Yes.I don’t want too much batter and made it really thin

1 Like

I fried a batch for lunch

3 Likes

I collect bamboo shots and wild aspargus… th bamboo shots start yesterday and will be a ton everyday for a month at least…
We eat them raw on juice or cooked with other vegetables or on soup. We love them!

1 Like

Bamboo shoots are delicious! Im looking for cold hardy edibles for this location and so far there is pecious little on cold hardy edible bamboo. There is tons of information on edible bamboo and cold hardy bamboo but not much combined. What information i did find i could not find plants for sale. The plants you would not think are edible and people eat - #30 by clarkinks . I foundcthis link very interesting Bamboo Species Edible

2 Likes

I grow cold hardy ebible bamboo outside. Let me know if you want some roots.

3 Likes

What cultivar? Is it clumping or running? Do you happen to have pics?

2 Likes

@IL847
I would love some!

1 Like

Clump bamboo usually are not edible. Mine is Phyllostachys xxx

3 Likes

Ok. After this cold weather pass, I will dig some up

2 Likes

Thank you very much!

I have two diferent species and i eat both. I don’t know what species they are, but i eat them from several years now and i’m alive and well so… :grin:

3 Likes

Some bamboo shoots aren’t taste as good as others, some taste bitter, also, if you didn’t cook properly, you might develop kidney stone if consumed in large quantities

2 Likes

The ones i have are not bitter, because we consume them mostly raw on morning juice. And i only eat them on this time… i start to harvest them as a way to controle it… it is very complicated to have them contained, so i take all the shoots i see.

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

I heard a lot of people foraging for common burdock, since it spreads easily and grows fast.

Tastefulness rating for bamboo by species.

Cross-reference with cold hardy bamboo list.

Looks like nuda is probably the ideal candidate.

2 Likes

@clarkinks

Cold hardiness trial at Chicago Botanical Garden.
capturetable1
Capturetable2

Nuda and bissettii are standouts.
captureresults2

Given that nuda seems better regarded for its taste than bissettii, it looks like nuda still would be the preferred choice for hardiness and or taste.

2 Likes

japanese knotweed is a invasive here and i heard the shoots are good. cousin to bamboo.

1 Like