What's ailing my peach?

First of all, would you please tell us which nursery you ordered your trees from? Maybe, we should avoid ordering from it.

I am Easternglo nectarine. I am not impressed. Fruit size is medium. It is more acidic than sweet. I prefer a sweeter nectarine. But if you like acidic, it may be for you.

Mamuang, I ordered from Burnt Ridge Nursery.

Honestly, even before this, I had decided that I’d never order from them again. Both of my apple trees had a defoliating case of cedar apple rust last year and I contacted them after I diagnosed it and asked for management recommendations. I was told they didn’t have cedar apple rust and they ended it there, which felt like terrible customer service when all I sought was advice- not even a suggestion that I talk to my local extension, which I thought was strange.

As for Easternglo- I had that variety from a farm last year and it might have been a fluke of weather but I loved the very sweet tangy flavor. If that is not their usual flavor, I would look elsewhere though.

I’m surprised Burnt Ridge treated you like that. They were very good to me and they gor pretty reviews from a lot of people here.

If that tree turns out to be anything but peach, you should call and ask to speak with someone in charge. A while back I spoke with the owner who was very accommodating.

Re. Apple Cedar Rust. You can’t blame a nursery. It is very common apple disease. There are some apple varieties thatare resistant to CAR. You can google DISEASE RESISTANT APPLES and find out what varieties are out there.

CAR is easy to control if you are willing to spray. A product called Immunox by Spectracide is very effective.

1 Like

It wasn’t until I started ghosting this site that I found out about immunox. Everyone else seemed to suggest CAR wasn’t a big deal and was mostly cosmetic, but complete defoliation seemed big to me.

Now that I know how it works, I kept a cedar gall on my neighbors tree that is hanging over my side of the fence so I can time my spray. I don’t blame the nursery for CAR, I want to be totally clear. It’s in my area (sadly) but seems manageable now that I know how to combat it.

Did you get the tree locally or mail order?
I can’t tell you how many times I got something mail order that wasn’t what I ordered and didn’t find out for years.

Mail order

It’s a bummer when they screw you like that.
Wasted years before you realize what happened.

Ditto on the bad experience with Burnt Ridge. I won’t buy from them again.

I was originally a promoter of Eastern Glo because it is early enough not to require a bunch of extra spray here, but like some early peaches it does run small.

I find the quality of nects and peaches, for that matter, depend a lot more on weather than variety to determine quality in my region, so it takes years to evaluate them.

I like some acid, though, so never like low acid varieties, unless they get crazy high brix like Honey Royale. However, they are very difficult here to defend from animals and HR is not a reliable cropper, apparently.

Probably my most consistent non-cracking (most seasons) nectarine is Red-gold. Fantasia may end up being my favorite in a few years, though.

However if you are only growing one, you really should consider grafting other varieties on it. Once you get used to tree ripe nects you will need to harvest them for more than a couple weeks during the season. In the humid region, a wide spread also assures better opportunity to have some reach the highest quality. That requires relative high sun during the month of ripening.

If you want a definitive species ID, send us a photo of leaves in a month or so. As Olpea suggests, photos make things a little tougher to evaluate- on site I can tell the difference. I’m not certain it is a pear- has anyone here ever seen a gall like that on a pear trunk? At least it could be explained as early stage black knot if it’s a plum.

That took me a long time to learn. It’s a bit of knowledge any new grower should consider. There are a few varieties which are sub par no matter what the weather. But for most varieties, the weather has a big impact.

Re: galls on pear tree. I see those from time to time on pears. When I’ve seen it, it’s more like a growth than a gall. From my experience they don’t continue to expand beyond about the size in the photo above.

1 Like

So you’ve seen the galls on trunks?

Hmm,

I can’t remember if it was on trunks or branch shoots. Probably on shoots since there are a lot more of those.

Newest update on the mystery tree