What's happening today 2016?

It is a deer fly and they do bite. I am allergic to them so have to be careful when they get thick. They are attracted to movement and certain colors. One effective but goofy looking solution to protecting your self from them is to tape a blue cup coated with tanglefoot to your hat. You will be surprised how effective that is. Some times the cup will be covered with them at the end of the day !

1 Like

I’m probably going to get tanglefoot all over me but I want to try it and see how many I get. Maybe blue painters tape

1 Like

Here is a pic of an apple maggot fly.

And I found that using a red spear coated in tanglefoot dose not work like is claimed by so many. The ones you add the attractant to might work better as I didn’t try them . What I found worked real well was using real red apples and coating them with tanglefoot.

1 Like

The sun came out after several rain showers and a thunderstorm that was well needed. My rain barrels are full! Now time to walk around with tanglefoot and see how my grafts look.

1 Like

This is from yesterday. Just a few around here right now .

2 Likes

Geo-pride pluots. Probably a week or two away from being dead ripe, but couldn’t resist, still very tasty.

8 Likes

If I had those flys I’d be more than happy to wear something like that and I’m the last guy to worry about what anyone thinks or poke fun at anyone. But I have to laugh a little when I imagine someone driving by and seeing me with a paper cup and duck tape tied to my head! haha. Looks like a close step to the tin-foil hat to keep the government from reading my thoughts! haha Or maybe the neighbors would guess its an antenna for broadcasting my thoughts to alliens. Either way, I’m sure you get some funny looks wearing that. (not that it matters, just a little humorous!)

3 Likes

I hope you let us know how this turns out, I was wondering myself if pre-wrapping the scion in parafilm when I get it would work or if it would mold. I am in a more northernly area and often I get my scion wood way too early for my zone because the source is located in a higher zone and they need to cut it when it is ready.

2 Likes

Costco had Spice Zee plums. I bought a clamshell. My 19 mo old son ate 1 and a half for lunch today.

Are Spice Zee an Zaiger interspecific cross?

Spice Zee is the nectarine like fruit with red leaves. It won’t/shouldn’t be ripe yet.

There could be a plum by that name but would think Zaiger’s has it trademarked.

Scratch that. Whatever plum I bought is in no way Spice Zee according to DWN’s pictures.

One person sent me one scionwood totally wrapped in parafilm. I kept it in the fridge from Jan to May when I grafted. It looked perfectly fine. The graft took. That was how it got an idea.

3 Likes

This is the one, Abate Fetel pear. The donor wrapped it tightly in parafilm (thank you). I got it in Jan, put it in a gallon bag and in the fridge. I took it out on April, not May, 4/16/16 when I grafted.

Mrs.G. raved about this pear. I hope to get it to fruit one of these days.

Your are in zone 2 !!! Not sure besides apples, what are other fruit trees you can grow!?

2 Likes

I had a batch of Sugar May white peach scions that molded over in the fridge, except this one that shot out a root initial! I swabbed it with dilluted bleach, cut it back to two buds, and potted it up! Maybe I’ll get Sugar May on its own roots.

4 Likes

My Whitegold cherries are coloring up.

Illinois Everbearing is trying to set a couple mulberries:

My White Gold is starting to blush, too

The robins have taken notice

Thinning cots and plums

Shiro is already almost twice the size of the Methleys

My white gold also just started to blush. I hung up my scare tape today, hopefully I got it up in time.

Went to store Friday, forgot to get the bird scare tape

just put up my tape as well, to protect the strawberries and blueberries