What's happening today - 2018 edition

I lower branch like that will probably continue to lack vigor. That’s even if it is vegetative. Hard to do much about the vigor in that location. If it will grow some then you could graft it higher on the tree in a more vigorous location.

If it was a flower bud last year… It will be again.

Some browning on my peach leaves, anyone have an idea of what is causing it?

Checked my Triple Crown blackberry run today, and found one more sprout. That makes 5 out of 7 in about 6 weeks. This recent spell of sunny, warmer weather sure has helped.

The native old apples here are just starting to show some small leaves and a few blossoms. Our newer apples are finally starting to green up, but no blooms yet.

My bench grafts have been doing well under the indoor lights, one of the sprouts is about 3" long now. Since it’s supposed to stay above freezing over the next week, I need to start hardening them off outside, and make room for my veggie starts this week.

We might get a brief shower tomorrow night, but nice warm and dry weather upcoming. Yay.

1 Like

Yes, very nice roots and thick trees. What are they?

Did you say $12.50 to ship each tree, or was that the cost of each tree?

It was between 12.50 and 13.50 per tree plus shipping. I got the bill and shipping was expensive. They ship in a huge, heavy box so I am not surprised at the high shipping but I would not order again unless I ordered at least 8 and they fit in one box.

A good illustration of our strange bloom season. This is my third leaf espalier Flavor King Pluot. The lower right tier has mostly bloomed out and set several fruit (pollination likely an issue in this location), lower left and middle right nicely in bloom, with the rest of the tree still thinking about it!

6 Likes

This photo was taken today,but before coming across these last week,I was wondering and hoping to get some Apricots this year,while doing some hand pollinating.
It’s kind of surprising sometimes to see something has grown,that was missed before.
These are Orange Red.They were thinned a little after the pic. Brady

23 Likes

Another day with snow in NE Ohio. I’m glad nothing has bloomed yet, particularly my cherry and apricot trees. It looks like the weather will turn starting Friday and we can start putting things in the ground.

Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

I’m starting to harden off my pepper plants this week and the next. The weather has finally turned from ice cold rain to bright sunshine for the next few weeks. This is a little over half of my mature plants. I’m using bags to keep them warmer and shelter them from wind and rapid temperature swings. I’ll take them out of the bags after a few more days when the night time temperatures stay above 5*C consistently.

4 Likes

Your peppers are well along!

They grow so slowly

The larger plants I started back in September and November so they have quite a few months on them. I’m looking forward to having some huge plants this year, last year was such a dud because I started my plants in mid April. The growing season is short here and I only got a hand full of pods from some plants. I know that I could have gotten so many more peppers if I had started the season with plants that are budding and mature already.

This is year is my exploration in flavour and I’m also trying my hand at a few growing contests. I’ve nearly quadrupled the number of varieties I’m growing and can’t wait to taste some, like the Fatalii, Bahamian Goat, and Pink Habanero.

Habaneros - Purple, Golden, Orange, Burning Bush, Caribbean Red, Brown, Red, Red Savina, White, Peruvian, Pink
7 pots - Yellow, Brain Strain Red, Lava, Brain strain Yellow
Scotch Bonnets - White Hot Peppers, West Coast Seed Co, Brown, Chocolate
Scotch Brain
Dorset Naga
Khang Starr Texas Crimson Bonnet
Bells - Red and Yellow
Kung Pao
Moruglah F3
Bahamian Goat
Aji Lemon drop
Fataliis - Yellow and White

3 Likes

Trying fast and furious to get all my plants in the ground. Lots of personal chaos to work around - but tomorrow should prove to be a productive day in the orchard. Wish me luck . . . and a happier heart than of late. - Karen

7 Likes

Most people are probably trying to plant trees.

I’m ripping them out.

Today I got through the smallest ones. 3 NCSU peaches, 2 SK cherries, white gold cherry, and a Goldrush apple.

Here are what my Romeo and Juliet cherries look like after being in the ground 18 months (planted in fall 2016).

3 Likes

This is crazy to me…Look at this little peach tree with two branches but getting peaches on it? Seems wild to me…

Got my new blackberry run tilled up today. As with the raspberry run, I dug up a couple wheelbarrow’s worth of garden soil, and a bit of that dark barn dirt to add to it, and give it some height.

The soil’s still a bit moist but I gotta get these in the ground while I can. Some of them already have some sprouts on the canes, even though the canes will be pruned down to the ground. Hopefully I can get them planted tomorrow. I’m giving each plant 5ft since they’re supposed to be upright growers. The run is 3ft wide by 19ft long.

I’d like to get my seed starts going tomorrow, too.

I mentioned this in another post, but I noticed that two of the gooseberry plants that were planted last year have small fruit buds on them, which is a nice surprise.

1 Like

Hope they come through for you

Why did you rip them out? Size wise they look small, root wise they look very good. The trees I have dug out do not have root systems nearly as developed as yours.

2016 I planted peach seeds. One of them has 5 flower buds this spring. Another has 2. Container grown and only gets 6 to 7 hrs sun. 2 years from seed to flower.

2 Likes

We justreturned from a 6-week trip in our motor home down from Minneapolis to Little Rock to Miami, then by cruise boat for two weeks in the southern Caribbean–7 islands including St.Lucia, Barbados, Aruba, and others, then by motor home up the east coast of Florida, across Georgia, a few days in Chattanooga, up to Cinncinatti, through Chicago, Milwaukee and up through Wisconsin to home again. I thought of some of you as we drove along. I actually started my vegetable seeds in flats on the dash of the motor home as soon as we got off the cruise ship! Folks at home were very weary of the late blizzards and cold, but I was relieved that things were still dormant when we returned, as I hope to get dormant spray on the trees and need to dig parsnips yet. By the way, we were served a delicious creamed parsnip soup on the cruise. We need the recipe. Unfortunately, I came down with a terrible cold before reaching home, so not up to doing much just now. The snow is melting fast, so time to get outside and get busy! If I can’t do that, I can sit here and waste time on my new computer. :slight_smile:

8 Likes