What's happening today - 2018 edition

Your in-ground pomegranate roots will survive the winter.

The problem is any late spring freezes that might occur after leaf-out. That’s what shocks the plants - when they are vulnerable - and kills them here in zone 6.

Zone 7 and higher a few varieties can take this abuse and survive/fruit… such as Salavatski. But it can easily kill them just as well too.

I’ve resigned to keep them in pots in the basement through winter until all threat of late frosts has passed.

Which ones do you have? If you’re doing this you could grow any of them, not just cold hardy.

Red Silk
Salavatski
Hydranar x Goulosha
Vkusnyi

The latter three were gifts from Zendog.

My new buddy! :slight_smile:

I have Salavatski and Al Sirin Nar (just as hardy as the former)
I also got some cuttings of Parfianka which is a top rate cultivar, not cold hardy, but all are hardy to 25F from what I understand. So I want to grow a couple more soft seeded early ripening types. Looks like Granada is a good choice and a few others too.

@Drew51, I’ve had her pull me up the hill when a rabbit broke cover further up the trail. The bar the leash is attached to swiveled and pinned my leg so I couldn’t have pedaled if I had wanted to, which could have led to a dangerous situation. This is normally a problem as she’s usually well behaved on a leash, except when rabbits are involved. I have something similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Head-Tilt-BIKE-Leash-Leashes/dp/B071ZDNBCK/ref=sr_1_9?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1516118161&sr=1-9&keywords=bike+leash

Received my nectarine tree this weekend as an early b-day gift! It’s a Snow Queen so hopefully it will do well in our low-chill area. In the coming weeks I’ll have to start digging the hole for it!

1 Like

I’m thinking when Jesse is older to use such an item. Thanks for the link! My dog it’s squirrels, I just let the leash go. He will stop and not go if I say no, stay! But being an home grower, when I see a chance to give squirrels a hard time, I let go! He has caught a few, he will not kill them, just kinda plays tag, holds them down, letting them know he is faster. Then let’s go, or I tell him to. He is not a hunting dog and does not have that killer instinct. Great dog who would rather nurture (and herd) than hunt.

Yeah I can’t walk my dog because of injuries from a head on crash. I can only walk so far, a couple hundred yards. I can bike though just fine.

I planted this variety 2017. How winter hardy/spring frost tolerant is it. What is your opinion of it’s taste? Thanks, Bill

My plant is too young. I got mine from Bass, the famous fig guy who introduced numerous varieties of figs he found growing. He said it does well in his zone which think is 7. It is very hardy. It has a sweet-tart flavor and hard seeds. Also good yields, ripens though in late October, pushing it here at that time. i would really like to grow a few soft seeded types that ripen earlier.
I’m looking at these and will add two of them. If anybody has them and can spare some cuttings, please let me know.
Sverkhranniy
Sumbar
Granada (probably earliest to ripen and I will add this one for sure)

I will probably buy Sumbar and Granada.
@Matt_in_Maryland You cultivars are good choices too, two are dwarf, which is very cool, great for container culture. The other two are very good cultivars also. Down the road, I would be interested in cuttings once bigger.

You bet.

Maybe we can swap sticks in future years.

Yes, don’t buy Granada or Sumbar you can get them from me. I will be purchasing those two.
Al Sirin Nar is big enough for cuttings now, although they would be skinny. It’s going on 2nd leaf. I got them last spring, and they grew very well. I’m hoping the Parfianka cuttings root. it is one of those taste test winners, although not hardy, see how it goes? They are supposed to root as easy as figs.

Also to others, these things grow like weeds, anybody who wants them can have cuttings. I will list them in future offerings. To tell the truth this year I have over 20 trades, and don’t want to take on anymore except for items I listed I want. All trades are for figs or stone fruit scion.

Well, trudged thru the snow to get the mail, and I see that we got two catalogs, one from Nourse (yay), and from Burgess (meh). Time to do a bit more “spring research”.

1 Like

Had to chuckle Bob. Yesterday catalogs… got another Burnt Ridge, two from vanBourgondien, Stark Bros, Wilhite Seeds, Plant Delights, HighCountry Gardens,
and
Seeds n Such. I may have to curtail my “spring research” as I have enough scions ordered to use up all the rootstocks I have on hands and on order. BB

2 Likes

Yeah, I got two Stark Bros catalogs at the end of last year. Gave one of them away to some new neighbors who live up the holler from my in-laws. Also got a circular from Indiana Berry. My Baker Creek catalog came in a month ago as well.

I wanted to stop by the BK place in Mansfield, MO on the way back from OK, but had to take a more southerly route home.

What do vanBourgondien, Plant Delights and High Country sell?

Thanks for the information. Last winter I also planted three Wonderful and one Kazake. All are getting pretty big except for the Kazake which is still very small. I’m not sure how well they will do in my location but we will soon find out.

1 Like

After eating many pomegranates this fall, I decided to focus on soft-seeded varieties, they are much more enjoyable to eat. Among my favorites are Desertnyi, Gissarskii Rozovyi, Myatadzhy, Parfianka, Vkusnyi. Rannii has semi-hard seeds if picked late Aug - early Sep, and soft seeds if picked in late Sep. I’ve also rooted and planted Azadi, Eversweet, Medovyi Vahsha, Sin Pepe, Sirenevyi. A few days ago got cuttings of Ariana. Other soft-seeded varieties that I would like to have are Kolobok, Molla Nepes, Myagkosemyannyi Rozovyi, Pamyati Rozanova, Sogdiana, Syunt, Utah Sweet.

Most pomegranates require a long and very hot summer to fully develop the flavor. The difference in taste of pomegranates picked a few weeks apart may be quite remarkable.

3 Likes

I’m more concerned with early ripeness. Stan out of those listed could you name a few early birds?

Same with figs. Although not all require long summers. You just have to know when to harvest. Every fruit I grow has the same issues, part of the fun of it. We have to about November 1st here. First couple weeks of September would be best, it’s still summer warm. So I like to try and obtain cultivars that ripen before that, although not always possible.

My main crop of figs is in August, most pomegranates are later, they typically need more heat over longer time to develop best flavor. A fig is in a top ripeness condition for a day or two, while a pomegranate can be picked (and stored) over a long time (weeks or even months). For example, Parfianka can be picked in mid-September and it will be ok, but if the same fruit is picked a month later in October it will be so much better.

For early birds I would suggest Rannii, Eversweet, and Myatadzhy. Note that Nikitski Ranni is different from Rannii. Nikitski Ranni has hard seeds and ripens a bit later. Rannii (Ранний) means “early” in Russian.

2 Likes

Excellent thanks and I was wondering about Ranni, if it was different. It’s far from ideal here, but fun to try. Even a mediocre pom would be so cool to produce here. We have our own gems and I always suggest to growers to go with proven winners first. Many stone fruits grow well here, but you need to pick the right ones. And add raspberries, honeyberries, paw paws, black raspberries, Romance series bush cherries, etc. Those work and produce excellent top rate fruit here.
I’m thinking though for here it would probably be best to grow the hardy hard seed types, as they are from regions more similar to this area. One could juice them. then try the others…So I have two of those hardy types already. Again besides the ones you mentioned Sverkhranniy (The name translates as “super early”), Sumbar
and Granada are also early types. I want to add two for now, probably the two latter ones mentioned. I want to know all options, so thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @Matt_in_Maryland . . . I’m watching your posts, as I have pomegranates, too. I just resonded to a post in another thread - about pruning. I couldn’t resist the ‘warm’ (50s) day a couple of days ago . . . and I wanted to get some suckers to try propagating . . . so I did some pruning. Then my hands started to freeze . . . so I quit!
I’m in Zone 7 - but it has been soooooo cold here. I had some transplanted poms (in grow bags) in an unheated garage - and I moved them to a semi-heated space, where the temps are in the 50s and 60s. I don’t think they get much light there, tho, so I wanted to ask if you think GroLights would help? Even tho dormant, they still need light, correct?

Also - I just wrote an email to an Alabama Pomegranate Xpert - and asked about varieties for my area. Will share when I hear back from him. They have had a similar winter. And their summers are hot and sticky, like ours . . . so he may have some insight.
I have learned how to ‘space’ . . . so here is a photo of my newly potted ‘sucker’.

2 Likes

I have never had a soft-seeded pomegranate. I love the ‘crisp’ feeling of Grenada or Wonderful . . . and have ordered some others with similar (supposedly) characteristics. I like the ‘tart-sweet’ of the two I mentioned. But, am trying some that are classified as ‘sweet’.

There is just something ‘not right’ with a pomegranate that isn’t RED! :tomato::tomato::tomato: (Sorry . . . tomatoes were the closest I could find!) Silly . . . but each time I think about ordering one with clear or white arils . . . nahhhhhh. Can’t do it!

My husband can’t stand swallowing the seeds. They don’t bother me. “Fiber”, I tell him. But, just for him, I will get a couple of the soft seeded variety!

The number of varieties is mind-boggling. I printed the chart from the Alabama Pomegranate Association that lists hundreds of varieties, and their characteristics! Trying to choose is tough . . . and finding them, to purchase, even tougher!