What's happening today 2020

Nice! They make nests in holes in the brick walls of my house and in bamboo poles I have laying on the ground. They don’t like my trays I bought for some reason, preferring paper straws and reeds :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

One of our chickens has found a way to avoid the annoying presence of our dog.

29 Likes

Nice chicken house!

4 Likes

I’ll say. Looks kind of like a chicken luxury hotel. Very nice.

4 Likes

That looks like a chicken palace,IMHO.

2 Likes

Nice chicken and dog :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I put all the seedlings out for a day in the sun. Now that I’ve up potted many, they take up too much room and I’m swapping them in and out under the lights 12 hours each to keep them from stalling. Now that they’re big, nights have suddenly gotten cold so I don’t dare leave them out much.

Most of these were destined for a PTA plant sale I donate them to, but that is now cancelled so I put a message on a small local facebook gardening group and the head of our community garden sent it out to the gardeners. I’m doing no contact pickups at the driveway and people can send their donation to the PTA via paypal or venmo. I am overwhelmed with orders! And it is tough to keep straight who wants what and what I’ve already promised to other people. This is way more work than I bargained for, lol. My dog guards them to keep the squirrels from digging in the pots.

14 Likes

You probably should have set up a google form for people to fill out to help you keep track of everything. It might not be too late.

Dwarf mayhaw experiment budding out!! There are 3 separate grafts, m111 to Bud9 to Winter Banana to Maxine mayhaw. I only did one but after seeing this I went ahead and made up a different late bloomer for pollination. Fingers crossed!

2 Likes

At my age, my imagination is better than my hearing.

8 Likes

Happy Easter everyone!

He is Risen!!

7 Likes

Happy Easter everyone! :pray:

4 Likes

Juliet is in full bloom right now. Looks to be getting pollination to. Not sure if that is a butterfly or moth that’s on it.

Hopefully a nice little crop this year.

14 Likes

Congrat, Speed. Don’t forget protection against birds.

3 Likes

I’m hoping my CJ, romeo and 2 juiliets produce some this year. they put on a lot of growth last year. all about 5-6ft tall last fall.

3 Likes

My CJ is not vigerous . It’s about half the size of my Juliet. It is full of blooms so I should get a few.

3 Likes

We had some fierce winds last night, after we had some heavy rains. After the rain rolled thru, at about 11pm, the winds started roaring. I was trying to get to sleep about 1am, but the sound of it in the trees was unsettling, and our house was vibrating it got that bad. My guess was that the winds were blowing at least 50 mph, if not higher. It eventually tamed down a bit by 2am or so, but I was worried about what kind of damage might have occured.

I finally got outside about noon and took a look around, I first checked out the strawberry patch in the back yard, then walked over to the back orchard.

Walked around the corner of the pond and saw this-

This is one of my Grimes Golden trees, it had been in the ground for four years, and as you can see it was full of blooms. Snapped clean off at ground level.

To be honest, I wasn’t too surprised this happened, as the rootstock (G16) had been damaged by a combination of borer, rodent, and root rot. It was maybe 50% girdled, and I had it propped up by a long post, as it had started to lean a bit. But, it should’ve tied to a post for better support. Due to the girdling, I suspected it might not last more than a couple more years, but it stings as it still had blossoms on it. Thankfully I have another Grimes next to it.

I also discovered a few weeks ago that further down the row from this tree, another one has appeared to die. This one is a Winecrisp, same age. I did a scratch test on the bark, and it’s a brownish green, and no leaves or fruit buds on it. What happened to it, I don’t know, but I suspect the roots didn’t tolerate high water after heavy rains. It was never underwater, but I suspect the water table was too high.

Further inspections revealed no other damage to my fruit trees, but many branches down from other trees.

So, I’m down to 15 apple trees, but not all bad news, as I have some newer ones ready to go into the ground-

Bench grafts, done two years ago, realky starting to wake up. Goldrush on left, Suncrisp on right.

Bench grafts done last year, fron left, Mollie’s Delicious, Enterprise, Honeycrisp

Grafts done last month, Melrouge, Dayton, Spartan, Loriglow.

5 Likes

Bummer about your tree @subdood_ky_z6b. Is it possible to take scion wood from it or is it too late? (Forgive my ignorance, I’m new to grafting.)

I got a few pictures of some of my herbs today:

Bocking 14 Russian Comfrey

Common Sage

Common Oregano

6 Likes

my comfrey is just showing some green right now. in a few weeks it should look like yours. same as the rhubarb.

1 Like

Perhaps if it had been dormant I could take scion wood from it. But, like I said, I have another GG next to it in better shape, and it has more blooms. It’s never fruited before, so if the apples are really good, I might take some scions off it next year.

2 Likes