What's happening today 2020

I have a Grimes, from Tom Brown. It’s never grown well, and hasn’t bloomed. It’s 3 or 4 years old, on a M111 when I got it.
Anyhow, if you lose both, I probably could snip a thin piece of scionwood.

I also had a Grimes 30 or so years ago. They aren’t exactly ‘disease resistant’ :upside_down_face: but they are self fertile and a fine pollinator. And have a lot more taste than a Yellow Delicious.

By the way, I have a flat full of seedlings from Opal. They look healthy. Of course, after 29 or so tonight, they may not!

3 Likes

Supposed to be multi-colored poppies, but the orange ones took over the other colors

11 Likes

Both of my GG are on G16, and are four years old. The one that got blown over produced a few fruit last year, they were small, about golf ball sized. I thought they were very good, sweet, tart, aromatic, just not very crisp. So, I think it’s good here, haven’t seen any disease issues yet.

The reason I got two was because they were recommended by folks from this area, plus they are self-fertile. Hopefully my other tree will produce a good crop this year.

3 Likes

I’ve not been to my ‘farm’ for 12 days…so I’ll have to report once I get back this evening…hopefully have some Redfield apples. But, I don’t think my Grimes Golden had any fruit buds.

2 Likes

Yep, that always seems to happen eventually. The coastal form (lemon-yellow blooms, smaller plants) will cross with the orange ones and you end up with interesting bi-color results.

4 Likes

Late yesterday, my husband finished burning the last of our native pasture for the spring. The combination of fire, smoke, and sunset was stunning, not sure how well that comes through in these pictures. It was an easy burn since all the other pastures surrounding this one are greening up, having been burned a few weeks ago.

And here it is this morning.

18 Likes

Slappy Apple first fruit!

Pasiflora edulis-purple passion fruit (I hope) first of many so far. Every day I’m seeing more of them :grin:

11 Likes

And then there were 2!!! Imagine my shock when i went out to check on the baby goat I showed you all last week and there stands ANOTHER ONE!!! The mother of this one is only 1 year old and really wasn’t showing much at all. I thought she MIGHT be in the early phase of pregnancy, but certainly didn’t think she was ready to give birth!!! Oh well. The good news is both moms and both babies seem to be doing great.

33 Likes

A friend asked if I had any trees I would sell him.
I replied no, but he could have a couple of bench grafts for free.
His response to my very incomplete list of apples:
you have a problem.

I hadn’t even gotten to peaches, cherries, or plums😁

16 Likes

Applied Tanglefoot on my tree trunks and gave them fresh mulch. This is my Korean Giant after getting pampered. I’m hoping for fruit this year!

13 Likes

Is this its second or third leaf? Crazy how they get tall so fast… training my pears to grow wider has been a constant battle.

2 Likes

Susu,
Are you training it into open center?

Mamuang yes I’m trying to train it to open center.
Dimitri I planted the tree spring 2018.

2 Likes

I’m now into apricots and ready for the challenge. The one on the left is Orange red from Adams county nursery and the other is Tomcot from Raintree. The location is not ideal seeing as how they will get less sun until they grow past the fence but they are fully protected from deer and honestly, I’m running out of room. I also added Rich May in the main orchard, also from ACN.

10 Likes

What a great picture! And that is a beautiful chicken! ('dog ain’t bad, either!) And that coop! That is one fancy coop! What other breeds of chickens do you have???

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance . . . but what is Tanglewood?

It’s a sticky insect barrier for anything that crawl up the trunk. It’s pretty effective against aphids too. I think because it keeps ants out of the tree.

https://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-Tree-Insect-Barrier-Tub/dp/B077XMQLTS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tanglefoot&qid=1587086949&sprefix=tanglefoot&sr=8-3

2 Likes

They seem to like the ground part of the receptacles in my barn as well.

1 Like

Pears don’t need to be sun kissed, it just looks better with a little blush.

1 Like

All the persimmons(Fuyu, Hichiya, and Prok) are blooming at the same time and the first pomegranate flower has appeared.

17 Likes