What's happening today 2020

we don’t usually see any 80’s till july. summer here is july - august but then again I’ve seen frost mid august here but not in the last 20 + years or so.

1 Like

A cornelian cherry that came from @JesseS in Maine

It took a while to leaf out but is happy now with all the spring rain and warmth.

Came in better shape than many nursery buys.

5 Likes

As if I didn’t have enough to do a huge red oak brushed my cottage.

It actually landed right in my wood pile. So at least that is convenient! I’m almost out of wood. Enough for this year. The smaller stuff on this tree should be OK next year, but the bigger pieces need 2 years.

It took a lot of smaller trees out on the way down. This one is not that small! The top is buried about a foot down into the earth, under this tree.

What a mess!

10 Likes

God sent you that one because he knew you needed it. :wink:

2 Likes

I hope he sent a nice big new chainsaw, too

2 Likes

I burn a lot of wood and cut about 20 -50 of those a year. Oak takes the longest to dry. It just seems to lock that moisture in. I build roofs over my piles and then roll out tyvek then tarp with lumber tarps I get from work. It will take every bit of two years for my stuff because I only split that size stuff in half or quarters. I like to get three years ahead but those are big piles that look like garages! I got paid to clear a lot last year with prime oak, cherry, hickory, and maple. They had nice straight trunks without branches for the first 40’ or so. I had to mill some of the Hickory and oak, two of each then one cherry for the heck of it. I took over 60 car hauler loads out of that property. I gave quite a bit away too.

2 Likes

That wood is about all I can handle! I will split it all this year.I do have a fairly new chainsaw, I have a few of them! I keep extra chains around too. I sharpen them a few times, then like a good machine sharpening to make sure blades are sharpened evenly.
I sure got lucky here too! It just fell short of causing any damage.

10 Likes

Oh boy I’ll say! Yeah cutting trees up when you have to is a lot different than cutting them up because you were already planning on it.

Here’s one of

the hickory I milled last year.

10 Likes

This is not new to me. So far I have had my electrical service knocked off by trees 5 times. I’m now an expert at installing electrical service to a cottage! Well repairing or replacing service hardware. I don’t connect it. It’s safe, no power! The Electric company only connects, you are responsible for the hardware, meter box etc. We have Edison here, and they were nice once when I needed power for roof repairs from a tree, they connected me with no meter. They said fix the roof then repair the meter service and call them to connect properly. I took my sweet time, called them in about 6 weeks :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

We lost power last night just after eating. A tree fell down the road. It was miserable because it was hot and humid. I was happy to see it come back on about three hours later.

1 Like

Awesome to use good wood. Very cool. It will last a long time and be very useful. My cottage is all cedar and it’s awesome wood. The beams are solid not laminate. One is about about 30 feet long. One huge piece of wood!

3 Likes

I really wasn’t planning on milling any but those trees were so nice it was hard to cut them up into firewood. an oak I cut into 13’ sections.

14 Likes

I hate to see good hardwood ground up into mulch.

1 Like

That is one nice, straight trunk! And that hickory is lovely, too!

1 Like

i guess!

some serious money there if sold to the right people. :wink:

me too. it takes so many decades to grow such a grand tree, at least we can honor its death by sharing the beauty of its wood.

3 Likes

Interesting mill John !

Our dog is getting old and he pees at will. He ruined all the carpet so I tore it all up. I was thinking of making hardwood flooring out of it. I’m not sure if I want to go through all that work though. The guy who is building the house where I cleared the land was wishing he had milled it. I’m sure I could sell it back to him. This is what I ended up with.

cherry above will get dark as it dries.

12 Likes

beautiful! its worth the finished results. go for it!

1 Like